TechSpot

I need a USB hub and I'm not sure which one

By jimflint1
Oct 20, 2007
  1. I have an Asus A7V8X-X MB, and it has some USB ports, but I need more. Can I hook a USB 2 hub to this board? Any recommendations for an inexpensive hub that will do the job adequately?

2. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 10,708   +397

Yep you can, doesn't that board use USB 2.0 anyway?

Definately get a powered hub (plugs into the wall). Cheap ones work just as well as expensive ones. But I've had one die myself, and my parents have had 2 cheap ones that developed dead ports. If I needed a hub myself anymore I'd probably still pick up a cheap one though.

Another alternative is to pick up a PCI card to add additional ports. For example, one i used once had 4 ports on the back, and 1 port inside.

3. jimflint1

jimflint1 TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 212

That's what I wasn't sure about. Thanks for the info.

4. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 6,000   +15

sure you can, ensure your hub is powered though.

5. SNGX1275

I'm 95% sure it uses usb 2.0, so you'll want to get a 2.0 hub. But even if it was 1.1 a 2.0 hub would still work.

6. AlbertLionheart

AlbertLionheart TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,026

In my book SNGX1275's suggestion about the additional PCI card with 4 ports on it would be preference. I have come across more than one supposedly quality USB hub which when connected stopped the PC booting.

7. jimflint1

Okay, I'm not real knowledgable, so can I just buy a PCI card that just adds extra ports and that's its function?

8. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 6,000   +15

yes that is fine too.

9. AlbertLionheart

AlbertLionheart TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,026

As you don't say where you are I cannot recommend a source, but you could look at this site for an example - if you are in UK it is not a bad price either.
    http://www.ebuyer.com/product/108594

10. SNGX1275

Maybe you missed this when I said it earlier.
    So yes you can.

The disadvantage to this is you have to plug everything into your computer still, hubs allow for more convenient placement.

11. jimflint1

Oh yeah, I saw your original suggestion, but I got confused by it. It's been so long since I actually took a class in how to upgrade and build computers that I had forgotten that such expansion cards were available. I guess this place is great for a refresher course, so thanks once again.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.