I need a virus please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

erwin1978

Can someone send me a virus so I can test if Norton is working properly. I remember you can create a harmless .com file virus from a text file, but I forgot how to do it.

There is a standard 'virus' created by EICAR.
It's really just a 'Hello world!' program, but many
antivirus programs report it as a virus.

Read the text here, the text to be pasted in the file is there also.

It's good to have something like 'eicar.com' somewhere on your
system, then you'll always know that your antivirus hasn't been
disabled. This file is found on every scan and if you click on it in
explorer, a real-time protector will complain.

grc.com
Run LeakTest, and ShieldsUP! In my opinion the best anti-virus and firewall testing programs out there...
He also has alot of other cool stuff on the site. Check it out!

If you want a virus, I'll email one to you :p

I don't put much stock in "Shields up" I've heard that even the firewall included with WinXP can pass that test and everyone knows how insecure it is.

Originally posted by erwin1978
Can someone send me a virus so I can test if Norton is working properly. I remember you can create a harmless .com file virus from a text file, but I forgot how to do it.

A bunch of friends of mine have the Flu virus. I had them all cough and sneeze in an envolpe and am ready to send it to you. Send me your snail mail address and I will Fed Ex it to you Erwin... ;)

If you want a virus come to the 3DS IRC channel. I am sure one of us will be able to help you out with your problem. And if we can't there will be lots of people that message you saying GO HERE and when you do you get a virus. So either way. But come on in and enjoy our company. We won't bite :blackeye:

I normally don't use antivirus softwares since my Conspiracy Theory IS, virus are released by the same people that create antivirus softwares. Who could prove or disprove that they don't do such acts. It's a self-sustaining business if you ask me.

The only reason I converted, for the time being, is because ahacker on TV said I should use firewalls and antivirus softwares.

virus scanners are a waste of system resources and memory. Why bother having a stupid program runnning in the background to monitor if you dont need 24/7 monitoring. I just use my computer safely, and if something isnt working right, or abnormally i check with the free online virus scan at www.trendmicro.com it always has the latest virus updates and even gives you quiz to pass the time, it is a very thorough scan, and although it doesnt always clean them if you know about computers you will know how to work around or clean the virus.

I normally don't use antivirus softwares since my Conspiracy Theory IS, virus are released by the same people that create antivirus softwares. Who could prove or disprove that they don't do such acts. It's a self-sustaining business if you ask me.

The only reason I converted, for the time being, is because ahacker on TV said I should use firewalls and antivirus softwares.

You are probably right.

Anti-virus software venders probably do create some of the viruses around. Something like "Klez" is so clever that I am sure that it must be made by someone with inside knowledge of anti-virus source code, given that it breaks such software and all.

But that is no valid reason whatsoever to run without virus software. A virus is still a virus, regardless of who wrote it.

Anyone who runs without these things, and without some kind of a firewall is being very silly IMHO.

Originally posted by cabrone
virus scanners are a waste of system resources and memory.

No offence my man, but for a system builder, I find your perspective questionable and slightly worrying. I really hope that you don't give this same advice to your customers....

Well, I must say I'm not impressed. Just downloaded the only virus scanner for BeOS and here's what it recognizes:

/boot/home/addons/BeRAV>berav ~/virus/*
RAV Antivirus for BeOS i386 8.1.001
Copyright (c) 1995-2000 GeCAD The Software Company. All rights reserved.
Free for home users!

Scan engine 8.3 for i386.
Last update: Sat Mar 3 16:56:27 2001
Scanning for 55759 malwares (viruses, trojans and worms).

*** Since the number of existing viruses grow radically, it is recommended ***
*** to update your product to keep good detection/cleaning capabilities. ***
*** So check out http://www.gecad.ro/rav/ for updates! ***
/boot/home/virus/pif.fable.a Infected: I_Worm/PIF.Fable.A (exact)

/boot/home/virus/W95_Magistr.28672@mm
/boot/home/virus/W95_Hybris.worm.B Infected: I_Worm/Hybris.C

/boot/home/virus/W32_Nimda.E@mm
/boot/home/virus/W32_Nimda.A@mm
/boot/home/virus/W32_Klez.H@mm
/boot/home/virus/W32_Badtrans.B@mm
/boot/home/virus/W32-Aliz.A
/boot/home/virus/VBS_NetLog.a Infected: VBS/Netlog.A

/boot/home/virus/VBS-Stages.A.~ Infected: VBS/Stages.A (exact)

/boot/home/virus/Kak.htm Suspicious: I_Worm/Kak.A

/boot/home/virus/Kak.htm->(SCRIPT1) Infected: I_Worm/Kak.D

/boot/home/virus/KAK.HTM Infected: I_Worm/Kak.A

/boot/home/virus/Bt.dl~ Infected: Trojan/Backdoor.BO.ButtTrumpet

/boot/home/virus/Backdoor.Trojan.zip
/boot/h.../virus/Backdoor.SubSeven22.zip
/boot/home/virus/Abel.eex

Time: 0 second(s).
Files/second: 47
Objects scanned: 17. New objects: 17
Infected: 7. Different virus bodies: 7.
Files: 16. Directories: 0. Archives: 0. Packed: 0. Mail files: 0

Warnings: 8.

Not good, only 7 out of 16.

I sent you SirCam. My recommendation is to not open it. hehe. :) I figured if it works at all, it will get SirCam because it is pretty well known.

As for Virus scanners being rubbish, I don't agree. I've run years without a virus scanner and I have been fine... It is true... And it largely depends on not being an ***** and opening .bat files from some guy named 3vilHaX0r@codered.com....

This is fine at home because you know what to expect on your personal computer. But a computer you share or network with..... No way.

IF YOU ARE ON ANY LARGE PUBLIC NETWORK, PLEASE USE A VIRUS SCANNER. Being a public network such as a college campus without a virus scanner is computer suicide.

Over the past year or so, I've actually been using one. I know I'm fairly safe from viruses because I don't blindly open e-mails and suspicious files, but my sister is a ***** and she's networked to my computer - I'd rather not take chances. Also, there's always that small chance you can get a virus from a trusted source.

....And running a virus scanner is rediculously pain-free. There's literally no performance hit at all on my system. 1.33Ghz Athlon XP / 512mb RAm. I couldn't care less about memory usage..... Which is currently a whopping 1.5mb (including services).

I think all in all, it's a good idea to have one. If not, you'll be kicking yourself when all your stuff gets corrupted beyond restoration and your boot sector's mangled with encrypted code.

I appreciate the virus that could. I think my ISP filters my emails or reads them because your message and the virus file was removed from the email you sent me. All I got was an attached text file. Send it to me with a different file extension. I truely want to mess my computer UP.:blackeye:

I truely want to mess my computer UP.:blackeye:

I admire your wanting to know if this virus scanner works, but wanting to mees up your computer seems a little crazy :confused:

Re: Re: I need a virus please!

Originally posted by Rick

....And running a virus scanner is rediculously pain-free. There's literally no performance hit at all on my system. 1.33Ghz Athlon XP / 512mb RAm. I couldn't care less about memory usage..... Which is currently a whopping 1.5mb (including services).

I just want to know exactly how you got your memory usage down that low, I currently have 1143.1 MB free out of 1536 MB. My pagefile is using 26 MB of 348 MB. It's been about 1.5 days since reboot.

Sorry about straying off the topic, I now return you to the regurly scheduled thread

I have three strains of klez, sircam, code red, and two harmless virii you may have if you want. The harmless ones are a joke virus (detected as JOKE_RUSS) and a javascript replicating virus (detected as JS_SPAWN, btw I wrote the code myself because I am uber). JS_SPAWN has probably been seen by many here, at least those of you using IE or Netscape (mozilla lets you disable replicating windows/spawns, not sure about Opera).

Also, I do not run with any sort of virus protection software running 24/7, and I never would. I also have not been infected by a virus since 1993, when I was infected with Jerusaleaum 1808. And, sadly enough, back then I was USING an updated virus scanner that ran as a TSR (glory days of DOS), and it didn't pick it up.

I neither trust virus scanners to be entirely accurate at all times nor is it worth my precious system resources to have a beast of a program running in the background at all times when it will do me no good at all.

Also, unless you become the unwitting (or witting, as the case may be) target of somoene or are running some form of server software, a firewall is not exactly a number one priority either. I run a firewall on my server only, my other boxes are unfirewalled. The only time I enable my hardware firewall or a software firewall on the other boxes is when I think I am being DoS'ed (which has happened)/ packeted, (that's what you get for being a bot owner on a large botnet on a very big irc server) or if I'm planning something of my own.

Most people are too paranoid. If you are not running a server or application that runs as one (i.e. opens ports. mIRC will open ports for IDENT and DCC if you let it, filesharing apps like kazaa also do the same), other then a DoS attack (which is pointless against a single user, and a waste of resources) there is really NOT much that can be done to you. No, no one can just "break into" your system just because you are not running a firewall, it does not work that way.

The only time I would reccomend a background virus scanner is for people who really don't know what they are doing or have a habit of downloading/running things beforehand. I scan files *after* I download them, before I run them. I do not NEED a 24/7 scan.

XP's firewall isn't "insecure", it's simply an advanced port filter that was designed to block ONLY incoming, not outgoing, and for a very good reason. It is quite easy to use, easy to setup to allow for a server proggie or ident or whatnot, and is entirely free, consumes less resources then other free/commercial software firewalls, and unless you have a fear of trojans, is really all you will need.

even the smallest, shortest code can destroy leviathan servers....

after all, from the smallest PDA to ASCII White, they are all computers and do only what humans tell them to.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back