I Need Access!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is my dilema...
I have an old computer in which I rememmber the admin login password but cant remember user "owner" password. I need this password to access files I saved under this acct. Any help would be greatly appreciated. PS - I dont want to reset the "owner" acct password because I hear that could cause data loss? Thanks a bunch :)

If you are the administrator, then you can take ownership of the user's files and access them.

I dont think you will lose any data by resetting the password all that could happen is it will say you dont have access to the folders that the files is in, then go with what Nodsu said and take ownership of the files and you should be set to go!

Hope that helped

I tried accessing the file from administrator & i get denied saying its locked or protected? Im not sure what to do at this point :( thanks for your help.

Access possible solution

Ok what you need to do is:
Right click on the folder (that you want to access) and click on properties, there should be a security tab. Click on Security. On the security tab there you click on Advanced (near the bottom), in the next window, click on the owner tab. Add your user to that list and make sure that the "Allow inheritable permissions from parent to propogate this object" box is ticked. then click on apply and that should do the trick, you should be able to access the folder now!
:)

well it kinda did the trick....

Janes I followed your instruction and yes I was able to access that folder, however I couldnt access the folders within it. Do I need to do this to each folder within that users acct? Thanks for all your help :)

Hey!

yeah I forgot to mention that, *sorry*, you need to do that with each folder unfortanetly! but in the end its al worth it I'm sure!!!:giddy:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back