I need DOS help

Status
Not open for further replies.

dreux456

I need any recommendations for DOS (MS-DOS) websites and books. I need to understand boot disks, etc. any help would be appreciated. thanks ahead of time......... :confused:

dreux456 said:
I need any recommendations for DOS (MS-DOS) websites and books. I need to understand boot disks, etc. any help would be appreciated. thanks ahead of time......... :confused:
Have you tried looking at www.bootdisk.com for information about boot disks?

BTW
:wave:Welcome to TechSpot:wave:

Dos Learning

I am pretty much a DOS expert, but that's all we had in 1984 when I started this techie journey.

I learned my stuff from a DOS tutor disk (probably no longer exists) and a book from Radio Shack (probably doesn't exist either). DOS boot disks vary depending on the version of PC-DOS or MS-DOS. DOS boot disks have usually three files on them to boot. Two hidden files (don't remember the names) and command.com. In the old days we put those files on a disk with the format a:/s command or the sys command. What do you want to do with DOS? There are many other commands: internal and external, but most people today like a graphical user interface like Windows. I am glad I learned DOS. It still comes in handy for situations like using Ghost, and other character based environments that I have to deal with from time to time.
This website looks pretty good. http://academic1.bellevue.edu/dostutor/
But there is nothing like playing with a computer and a floppy disk yourself.

From what I remember (last did this a long time ago)

98se

ASPI2DOS.SYS
ASPI4DOS.SYS
ASPI8DOS.SYS
ASPI8U2.SYS
ASPICD.SYS
AUTOEXEC.BAT
BTCDROM.SYS
BTDOSM.SYS
COMMAND.COM
CONFIG.SYS
DRVSPACE.BIN