TechSpot

I need DOS help

By dreux456
Nov 2, 2005
  1. I need any recommendations for DOS (MS-DOS) websites and books. I need to understand boot disks, etc. any help would be appreciated. thanks ahead of time......... :confused:

2. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff TS Rookie Posts: 6,503

Ever heard of Google?

3. poertner_1274

poertner_1274 secroF laicepS topShceT Posts: 4,172

Have you tried looking at www.bootdisk.com for information about boot disks?

BTW
    :wave:Welcome to TechSpot:wave:

4. Saddleback

Saddleback TS Rookie

Dos Learning

I am pretty much a DOS expert, but that's all we had in 1984 when I started this techie journey.

I learned my stuff from a DOS tutor disk (probably no longer exists) and a book from Radio Shack (probably doesn't exist either). DOS boot disks vary depending on the version of PC-DOS or MS-DOS. DOS boot disks have usually three files on them to boot. Two hidden files (don't remember the names) and command.com. In the old days we put those files on a disk with the format a:/s command or the sys command. What do you want to do with DOS? There are many other commands: internal and external, but most people today like a graphical user interface like Windows. I am glad I learned DOS. It still comes in handy for situations like using Ghost, and other character based environments that I have to deal with from time to time.
    This website looks pretty good. http://academic1.bellevue.edu/dostutor/
    But there is nothing like playing with a computer and a floppy disk yourself.

5. Michelle2

Michelle2 TS Rookie Posts: 35

From what I remember (last did this a long time ago)

98se

ASPI2DOS.SYS
    ASPI4DOS.SYS
    ASPI8DOS.SYS
    ASPI8U2.SYS
    ASPICD.SYS
    AUTOEXEC.BAT
    BTCDROM.SYS
    BTDOSM.SYS
    COMMAND.COM
    CONFIG.SYS
    DRVSPACE.BIN