I need Help deciding about Mobo and CPU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone I'm new here.

I need help deciding what Mobo and CPU to get. I want to be able to play Half Life 2 nicely. I'm pretty sure i want an ASUS Mobo (about $500 tops) that will work for AMD Athlon 64 3000+ and if it's a good idea will work with DDR2, atleast 2GB memory, and 256MB graphics card.

I also wouldn't mind your opinions on the best memory, HD, graphics card, PSU, etc.

Thanks in advance,
FutureComputer

is there ddr2 for amd?, but just to let u know, the 2 gigs of ram will cost u at least 350 and a nice asus mobo will be another 150, they have a new sli mobo if u want to do that

sure, SLI technology allows you to use 2 NVIDIA cards, same make and model, to make ur graphics look amazing, this is mainly b/c each card only has to work half as hard as it usually does, getting a SLI mobo doesnt mean u need 2 cards tho, u can get 1 and get another of the same exact card later. if u get 2 6800gt's, then u will outperform any ati, if u get 2 6800ultra then u have the best graphics in the world. if u have 2 6600gt's then it will come close to an ati x800xt.

for the mobo/cpu:
check this out:
http://www.mwave.com/mwave/viewspec.hmx?scriteria=BA20954
u can select a combo for the mobo and processor for cheap, even ram
i am thinkin myself of going for the 3500 processor
that will be 427$

If you would have scrolled down, you would have found:
A* : Supports one module inserted in any slot as Single-channel memory configuration
B* : Supports one pair of modules inserted into eithor the blue slots or the black slots as one pair of Dual-channel memory configuration
C* Supports 4 modules inserted into both the blue and black slots as two pairs of Dual-channel memory configuration

1GB-sticks are the largest currently available.

u can have a total of 4 gigs of ram, 4x1gig chips, u can have 1 pair of dual channel chips and the other 2 can only be single channel

What it means is that if you use a single memory module, it will run in single channel mode. If you have two or four modules, they will run in dual channel provided you install them properly. For example if you have two modules, you should install each in the blue DIMM slots. If you have four, all DIMM slots will be filled & your system will still be in dual channel mode.

It doesn't say what happens if you use three ram modules. Generally in that case you should have the same amout of memory on channel 1 & 2. For example the first blue slot & the first black slot are channel 1. If you install 2 modules of 256mb in channel 1 (one module in the first blue & one in the first black slot), then you should install a 512mb module in the second blue memory slot. I would advise you to avoid such a setup anyways & get an even number of memory modules.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back