TechSpot

i need help unlocking a hard drive locked with a passord from a Dell Inspirion 8100

By mstech316
Jun 28, 2006
  1. Hello to one and all.

I have an issue that I am in need of help with. A few months ago I posted a plea for help with a Dell Inspirion 8100 laptop that I have. A so called former friend locked up the laptop with administrator password and disabled the ability to boot the laptop via boot disk, CD USB, or anything else etc. I sent a request of help to a gentleman by the call of Rustam and a few weeks ago he provided a master password to clear the dell grey screen asking for the password. I was very grateful for the gesture of help. I managed to bypass the screen only to get another gray screen telling me that the hard drive has been encrypted with another password. I have tried to send an S.O.S to Rustam but he has not answered for one reason or another. My question is as follow does anyone know of a way without having to shell out any money be able to unlock the hard drive so I can retrieve the data that I need as I don't have a backup of it. Any ideas on how or where to look for futher info would be really appreciated.

2. KingCody

KingCody TS Guru Posts: 1,568   +7

the only way i could think of would be to use the drive as a slave in another system with it's own operating system. this may allow you to simply view and access all of your data as a second drive.

if you can't simply access it through windows, then you may need to use a recovery program to access it.

3. rustam_

rustam_ TS Rookie Posts: 65

I cant find your messages about hard drive, repeat with exact string asked by laptop. May be you had sent mail to MSN which I dont read at all, it only for instant messaging.

4. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 10,074   +13

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.