TechSpot

I need HELP wid RAM

By El_Smee
Feb 24, 2004
  1. know i have 2 sticks of 1/4 of a gig ram running at 400 and another stick of 1/2 a gig running at 333 know there all in my gigabyte K7 Triton GA-7S748 this motherboard does not have dual DDR(my friend said you have to have dual DDR to run 2 stick or more of ram proprly).

1. Is what my Friend said true?
    2. What Speed is my combinded gigabyte of ram running at 333 or 400?
    3. What do you sujest I do about this?

should i remove the half gig stick running at the slower speed??

2. acidosmosis

acidosmosis TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,350

If you use two different ram modules at different speeds then they will all run at the speed of the slowest ram module. In your case the 400mhz ram module will be running at 333mhz since your also running 333mhz RAM in that system.

Edit: Take out the 2 sticks of 256MB/400mhz RAM and do some tests. Benchmarks maybe. Then put them back in and do it again. See which is better.

Depending on what your doing or what kind of application you are running it may be better to have your system running with the 512MB@400mhz (2 sticks of 256@400mhz) running in dual-channel or to have the 1024MB@333mhz (2 sticks of 256 + 1 stick of 512).

I also believe (can anyone confirm this?) that you can't run in dual-channel mode unless both sticks are of the same speed. Possibly also may need to to both be the same amount of RAM. I've also heard that it is advised that both sticks of RAM be the exact same kind. If I was going to run in dual-channel I would buy the Twin-X RAM. (ie., something like this: http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-145-489&depa=0 )

3. El_Smee

El_Smee TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 23

srry i dont know how to test it. At this current time i dont have software that will do that

srry if my first post didnt make much sence but it was
    2x 256mb/runing at 400mhz
    and 1x 512mb/ running at 333mhz

BTW what does dual DDR do then?

so hears the main question again
    What combo is better

2x 256mb = 512 mb /400mhz

or

2x 256mb + 1x 512mb = 1024 mb/333mhz

Which set up would be faster?

4. acidosmosis

acidosmosis TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,350

As far as the "dual DDR"

Also, take a look at http://www.kingston.com/literature/MKF_495.pdf

"Dual memory channel designs double the peak bandwidth over equivelant systems that only offer single memory channels."

Sorry about that, had a few typo's in there.

5. El_Smee

ok thx man

that clears up my query on Dual DDR

how about the 2 different set up

What combo is better

2x 256mb = 512 mb /400mhz

or

2x 256mb + 1x 512mb = 1024 mb/333mhz

Which set up would be faster?

BTW i have a AMD athlon xp 3000mhz (333fbs) does this mean the fastest ram i can run is 333mhz???

6. Didou

Didou Bowtie extraordinair! Posts: 4,274

What it means is that there won't be any difference if you run the Ram at 200mhz ( 400DDR ) rather then 166mhz ( 333DDR ) since the CPU is only able to use it as fast as 166mhz.

You might even notice a performance decrease if you run the CPU FSB & memory at different speeds ( asynchronous mode ).

7. lowman

lowman TS Rookie Posts: 380

Agreed

Didou is on point regarding this subject...:D

8. El_Smee

OK i more problem im running my cpu with the 1 gig setup but for some reson 3DMark 03 says im running it at 132mhz

how i fix?

9. Didou

3Dmark isn't the most precise tool when it comes to detecting system specs.

Use a better program such as CPU-Z or CPUID.

If you wish to benchmark the memory, you can always get Sisoft Sandra Free Edition & run the memory benchmark.

10. Moimit

Moimit TS Rookie Posts: 76

dont you all know that the chipset doesnt support Dual channel mode. get a good nforce2 motherboard they do have dual channel. thats my $0.02

11. young&wild

young&wild TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 993

Yep ya right on that. I went to the manufacturer's site, no sign of the board supporting Dual Channel.

12. Didou

He mentionned in the first post that his board was not DualChannel capable so we're all aware of that.

The problem here is that his ram "seems" to be running at 133mhz ( 266DDR ) when it should be running at least at 166mhz ( 333DDR ) allthough I believe it's 3Dmark not detecting properly the actual Ram speed.

DualChannel doesn't bring much performance increase on a K7 platform anyways.

13. Moimit

see the sis chipset might as well not support the dual channel mode because i have seen many problems with the sis chipset and DC even with good ram.eg kingston. sis just suck get a real motherboard

14. Didou

He allready has the board/Ram & wants them to work together. Telling people to change hardware doesn't really help at all.

The only available SiS chipset to support DualChannel DDR Ram is for P4s & works quite well so I do not see where you noticed that SiS chipsets & DC didn't go well together.

15. Moimit

i apologise. just i had a lot of troubles with my old sis chipset so i get a little edgy. sis are ok but be careful.
    soz didou...

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.