Solved I need help with a very,very nasty virus

Status
Not open for further replies.
I happen to have a very nasty virus within my computer, it disguises itself as a fake System Security center and call's itself Microsoft Xp Tool. It won't let me System restore as it asks what program to run it with, it doesn't let me use my AntiVir or install MalwareBytes and it asks what porgram to run it with. My antivir doesn't detect the virus(I could open antivir when i didn't reboot). The only thing acessing the internet is my Ad Aware which happens to tell me to update which gets me into a loop hole of being able to access the internet. I am inexperienced with computers so i need help. I Cannot access Msconfig either. And it won't let me post a hijack log.. I am stuck so please help
Thank you

Welcome to TechSpot, asdalin. I'll help with the malware. See if you can run the following. It should allow you to run Malwarebytes after it has finished:

Please download randmbam.exe

It will try to create random names and shortcuts for Malwarebytes Anti Malware(MBAM) if you have it installed already.

Once done, try running a scan again. Then follow the additional steps HERE.

Please let me know if the first program does not allow you to run Mbam and I'll set you up with a different program.

Please leave all of the logs from the scanning programs- they are important.

it disguises itself as a fake System Security center and call's itself Microsoft Xp Tool.

How do you know this? Where did you get the information from? You say "it" won't let you use Antivir, but you then say "My antivir doesn't detect the virus".

You should know that there is no program called Microsoft XP Tool . There IS a program called Microsoft Power Toys for Windows XP, but that is a legitimate program.

There is a rogue program called Security Tool You can see images of this HERE.

Is this what you think you have? You might see this:
Security Tool Warning
Spyware.IEMonster activity detected.
and/or this:
Security Tool Warning
Some critical system files of your computer were modified by malicious program

This is an attempt to trick you into clicking on their 'tool' to remove the threat. Did you click on this tool?
  1. What happened before you lost access to opening programs?
  2. Do you get a message when you can't open a program other than "open with."
  3. Regarding the programs you cannot open: are these new programs? Where are they located- such as on the desktop?
  4. Did you log on one day and found the problem then?
  5. Do you know if there were any automatic updates before this began?

Try this to run a program:

Boot into Safe Mode
  • Restart your computer and start pressing the F8 key on your keyboard.
  • Select the Safe Mode option when the Windows Advanced Options menu appears, and then press ENTER.

Now try to open a program. Does this work?

I fixed this as i added EXE to applications as a run file.. i then was able to run Malware bytes and got rid of it.. Thanks for trying to help though

That program alone isn't enough. But if you want to stop I'll close the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back