TechSpot

I need help with a weird Networking issue!

By Toxsickcity
Jul 12, 2007
  1. Okay to start I am not a noobie when it comes to PC hardware... but I am seriously having a problem I cannot seem to fix no matter what i do..

It happens with many PC's I own..

The current one is a VISTA BOX

Okay to start I have the problem of VERY Slow SPEED for file transfer accross a network.. usually transfering at a rate of 60-200KB/sec

@ 100MB Full Duplex file transfer to Vista box is about 60KB/Sec-700KB/sec going fast slow etc..
    @ 10MB Full/Half Duplex the transfer is 1.2MB/SEC constant! very fast compared to what I get with 100MB...

heres the thing when I send a large file VISTA BOX --> SERVER at any speed it goes at the fastest possible speed! 10MB = 1.2MB/sec | 100MB = 9.8MB/sec
    also if I transfer the file from the SERVER or my system to the VISTA BOX is transfer at about 3.5-8MB/sec but my system is very busy!

I've tried different Switches, my main Switch is a 3COM 8port gigabit switch model 3C1670800A

I've tried the SERVER & the VISTA Box in my Internet's Router 4 port'ed switch same problem keeps happening

I Have also checked cables and changed many cables to test things.

I do not have a domain, and my usual network setup is to use static Ip's for each box.. eg: 192.168.0.1, 192.168.0.2, 192.168.0.33 etc...

I have had problems with mainly onboard NICs, and usually fixed by Buying a PCI NIC but I got a new NIC today and same f'en problem.

Computers I've usually and always had problems with
    N-Force 2 Asus A7N8X-X with AMD MP 2800+
    and a ASrock 775i65GV cheapo mobo 2.66GHZ Pentium 4 775

My other Pc's that are working 100% absolutly no problems in my Network are following PCs..
    1. Core2 E6400 with a Gigabyte DQ6 high end MOBO
    2. AMD 3800X2 with a DFI lanparty NF4 sli high end mobo
    3. SERVER = 8KNXP with a 2.4G Pentium4
    4. HTPC 1 = Pentium4 3ghz and Gigabyte mobo unknown model forget!!
    5. HTPC 2 = Pentium4 3GHZ and a Gigabyte mobo unknown model

so thats 7 PC's connected and only 1 of them with a problem..

My work had a problem but I fixed that with adding a new PCI N/W card.
    any ideas of what I can do to fix this issue?

2. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 5,837   +6

So what is the problem? :)

Do you have any firewall, antivirus, VPN, packet capturing software installed? Uninstall these one-by-one. Also, did you change the network cards on both the involved computers?

It could be that something is flooding your network. Connect the computers with a crossover cable and use some network monitor utility to make sure that only the file copying occurs and nothing else is moving acros the network.

3. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 9,317   +618

check your MTU size. I set mine to 1496 to avoid FRAGMENTED packets.
    If a packet gets fragmented, then the system needs to reassemble it when it arrives.

This is especially helpful when a firewall disables FRAGMENTS (for security reasons).

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.