I need help with file recovery etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am a very stressed mother of 4 right now!! I am fairly techie for a 40 year old woman. I upgrade my own memory, and add hardware like dvd burners, card reader bays ect. Have decent general computer knowledge. I use my comp to run several accounting programs, I do the books for 3 family businesses one fairly large. I always back up on a flash drive.

My 18 year old son bought himself a new computer and wanted to transfer files to his new comp so I let him erase and use my back up flash drive....(it is starting to sound bad...right) It was taking too long so he hooked his old comp up where mine was to put it on the network and tranfer files over the network. Unknown to me he took my power cord out of my UPI and plugged it in a cheap power cord to reach his old comp. When he plugged my comp back in it fried my motherboard (2 hours after I eraserd my back up!!!) then he plugged his old comp back in and fried his mother board his was a nice pavillion he was giving to a younger brother. I don't want to invest a lot of money in my comp as it is not worth it I would rather upgrade. I bought a hard drive case with usb capabilities which I was assured that I could access my files from. It turns out because I had an administrative password that I can't access any files that weren't already set up to be shared. I am running windows XP. There is no way to replicate all the accoutning records they are priceless. Can I do anything to retrieive them short of spending $300 and up on a 2 1/2 year old computer to replace the mother board. (it was a cheap emachine T2482 with upgrades). I also have a huge music collection as my 3 teens and I all have various ipods. I would hate to have to go through and transfer my cd's back on and buy MP3's again.

Pretty long intro ... Sorry I am hoping somone can help me I can't even sleep as the business accounting records are so important to get back. I am quite late in filing income tax (from april last year!) and was almost finished.
Thank you for even taking time to read my log winded post

thanx Kim :(

First of all I would recommend a better backup when dealing with critical files.
I'm not positive but I would swear there's an application that can reset all the security info so that the files would be accessible. Google for something like that.

You could also try a program called GetDataBack. It looks at the raw data, I don't think it cares about privs. or user rights. They have different versions depending on the file system used.

I bought a hard drive case with usb capabilities which I was assured that I could access my files from. It turns out because I had an administrative password that I can't access any files that weren't already set up to be shared
Even though you may be an Administrator on the computer you are using to copy your files to, Windows does not recognize you as the admin for the drive you're copying files from.

You need to take ownership of these files and tell the hard drive you're the boss. The process is described here: https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic8914.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back