TechSpot

I need spray paint help

By erwin1978
Jul 3, 2003
Post New Reply
  1. So I'm looking into painting my bike using spray paint. I have a choice of either lacquer or enamel type. I hear lacquer is better, but there's not much color available. Does lacquer have particular properties that prevents manufacturers from providing more varied colors? I checked out Krylon, Duplicolor, Plastikote, Rustoleum and their lacquer lines of spray paint only cover the grey shades.
  2. Nick

Nick Newcomer, in training Posts: 216

why would you ever spray paint your bike? Is it stolen?
  3. acidosmosis

acidosmosis TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,574

*pimp slaps Nick* be nice man :p

anyway.. is there a local bike shop nearby? You might can drop by and ask them what they think. They surely can recommend something.
  4. spyda

spyda Newcomer, in training

spraypaint

:blackeye: You man! I recommend that you use normal high gloss as a first coat, then when it dries, heat the paint with a hairdryer to harden it. ( you do not want to cook the paint, just heat it s bit.) then spray on metal enamel., a thin layer of transparent gloss usually keeps your paint job safe for a while, plus if it scratches, it's the reansparent layer that goes off.

Good luck man.
  5. lowman

lowman Newcomer, in training Posts: 446

Spyda has the plan...sounds good to me...

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.