I Need To Correct A Setting

Status
Not open for further replies.
A few weeks ago, while I was making an airline reservation on Jet Blue, a window popped up and asked me if I wanted to never allow access to the site again. Well, I didn't have my glasses on and I was hurrying to book the flight. Now, I can no longer access Jet Blue from my HP laptop.

I've deleted IE and reinstalled, I've cleaned my temp files, cleaned my cache, cleaned my settings, etc. and I still can't figure out what I've done.

Does anyone have any idea what it is I might have clicked on that won't allow me access to their site? I can no longer check in from my computer or print my boarding passes from my email, etc.

Thanks for any suggestions. I am not very swift with computers.

Gale

Yes, I have checked the firewall and it's off right now... it was a window that came down and the cursor was on it, highlighting it and as I was clicking to get off of it, I saw it was a window that was disabling me from ever accessing jetblue again.

I have no idea what it was. I've never seen it before or since and I can access all other websites just fine.

Any other suggestions? Anyone?

Thanks Route44.

Gale

what does it say specificaly (the error) when you try to log into the website?

Goto start> run and type cmd
Type in ping %website% > where %website% is the address of the website eg.
ping google.com

Try with Firefox or Opera browsers... i assume other pcs should be able to access this website from your location and that you can access other websites easily as well?

It'd be handy to know what you're running (program-wise). Easiest and quickest method of getting this info is to download a program called Hijackthis and use the "scan and save a log" option. Just in case there is another program or something blocking the website apart from your firewall..

this should be a lesson for you to read stuff before clicking... even if its just skim reading..

Gale1979 said:
Yes, I have checked the firewall and it's off right now... it was a window that came down and the cursor was on it, highlighting it and as I was clicking to get off of it, I saw it was a window that was disabling me from ever accessing jetblue again.

I have no idea what it was. I've never seen it before or since and I can access all other websites just fine.

Any other suggestions? Anyone?

Thanks Route44.

Gale

One of the firewall's functions is to "learn" what you want to allow and not allow by way of websites and content. My guess is that when you clicked that deny button your firewall is now preventing you from accessing, believing it is protecting your system.

Re-enable your firewall and see if you can find a Web tab with Site Exceptions and see if you can add Jet Blue as a permissive site.

I have never heard of an out-of-the-blue pop-up asking to block an otherwise good site. Strange.

Look in IE, Tools, Internet Options, under Restricted Zones for a site listing.

Look in C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts for that site.

Okay, thanks to each of you!

Bobbye... I clicked on the link you provided for Jet Blue and it opened right up, no issues whatsoever.

Now, here is the thing that IS different. I wrote of my problem from Ft. Lauderdale, Fl. I was accessing the net through Comcast down there. Yesterday, I flew back to Massachusetts and am now accessing the net again from Comcast, but it's a different modem. The modem in Fl is a rental from Comcast... brand new. This one is owned by me and I had NO problems.

So, can the problem be related to the modem somehow in Florida?

As I've indicated previously, I cleaned out temp files, ran anti-virus, spyware, ad-ware programs, deleted and reinstalled IE 3 times, shut off my firewall, etc. while I was on the modem down there and nothing would get me onto the JB site. What happens is, the site tries to come on for about two minutes and finally I get the IE window that says IE is unable to connect to this site. Check your this, that and other connections, blah blah.

Thoughts?

In the meantime, thanks very much once again to each of you for taking the time. :)

All best,
Gale

Gale, there might have been a problem with the modem-it's hard to tell. And even though you were accessing through Comcast in both locations, you were likely going through a different backbone on the internet.

If this is working for you now and you're in you usual location, I would chalk it up to an unknown glitch-somewhere. If a similar problem comes up and you have wWndows XP, I highly recommend using the Event Viewer to look for Errors that occur at the time of the problem.

For your own interest, you may want to look back to that date if you're on the same system now that you had in FL:

Follow this path:
Control Panel> Administrative Tools> Event Viewer> Click on System & Apps, one at a time on the left> look for Errors on the right> right click error> Properties> note description of error, Event# and Source.

There is a "copy" button below the up/down arrows. Click that, then go to any place that allows you to type (ie. notepad, wordpad, this board) and you can paste (use CTRL-V) the entire event details there. It makes for easy reporting of the event.

If you want to paste the Error here, you do not need to include the lines of code that follow the Description- but paste all else. You will be looking for Error that occurs at the time of the problem. Please ignore Warnings.

The Events have a Source, an ID# and a Description which directs us in troubleshooting. they are system logs for the System, Apps and Security and document everything that happens in the system. By finding the Errors that match the time of a problem, we can usually find the cause.

Thanks Bobbye. Your assistance is greatly appreciated. When I get back to Florida I'll try to access Jet Blue again and see if the same thing happens. If it does, I'll try and follow your instructions as given above.

Really glad some people get a kick out of this stuff. It makes my eyse roll right up in their sockets. lol

All best,
Gale

Gale, here's an interesting thing. I AM in Florida! I have a different ISP than you do and I had no problem accessing the site! That may help pin things down for you.

Bobbye

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back