I/O Error

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope I am in the proper forum for this question, if not please excuse me...

I have a Toshiba laptop at home and out of nowhere the CD Drive stopped working. When I put a CD in it nothing happens, and when I went to My Computer and double clicked on that specific drive, I get an I/O Error. I know that the drive itself works, b/c the light blinks on and off, as if it is trying to read the CD, and I can hear it spinning, but nothing opens. I take it this is a registry issue, but how do I fix it? I downloaded one of those registry fixers, but it only detected that I had 956 errors, but unless I paid money to have it fixed I was SOL. Does anyone know the best, and cheapest, way to fix this issue?

PLEASE HELP!!

It doesn't matter if the CD light is blinking or not. The first thing to do is to replace the CD drive and see if the error goes away and that the CD works normally

of course you tried OTHER CDs??

check the Device Manager an be sure there are no yellow/red flags associated

Some Advice...

Hi computerchick,

First of all, I would not download, install, or run any registry cleaners that you see advertised on the web, unless you're absolutely sure it's legitimate. Secondly, just because there are lights and the drive spins the CD, doesn't mean it's not damaged/broken.

Have you tried multiple CDs/DVDs?

computerchick said:
I have never replaced a CD drive before, but I am sure I could figure it out. Any suggestions?

It's not that difficult, but you have to get the correct CD type and model for your Toshiba. It may be wise to have an experienced computer tech do this for you

Sorry about a late entry here: laptop with CD drive error that just happened can often be the result of not supporting the caddy when pressing a CD down onto it. If that's the case then you have to replace the drive.
Been there and fixed that more than once but do what jobeard suggested and make sure it is not just a bad CD before you spend any money on it!
Having said that, you don't usually get an I/O error with that - this can be a failed drive controller: means a replacement drive in any event.

CD drive failures are very common in laptop/notebooks. Much more common than with desktop CD drives. Probably because of the notebook CD drives being more delicate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back