I/O Errors?? Help Please

Status
Not open for further replies.

mstpaintball

Ok, first off, I'm not sure if this belongs here, so sorry if it doesn't.

Alright, I downloaded the free version of BullGuard because I was pretty sure that I had a virus. Well it scanned my system and all but I noticed that it has a "I/O Errors" that it displays as its scanning, you know like, number of files, files scanned, viruses, I/O errors, etc.

What can I do about these? Is there a way to fix them? Not really sure what this is, but I think it causes the PC to reboot on its own sometimes?, that would make sence, since my PC reboots on its own every once and awhile.

Thanks

Just got done running BullGuard, it said 25 I/O Errors.

Not sure about Bullguard's free version. The paid-for version rates at position 9 out of 48 in a recent test.
The I/O errors probably relate to a cluttered harddisk. When did you last check and defrag your harddisk?

Sorry I've been busy and it slipped my mind that I made this thread.

My HD is partioned into 2 HD's, C and D....
Well to be honest, its probably been about 5 or 6 months since C was defragged, I don't have 15% free space so it won't defrag it for me.
And D was defragged probably about a month ago, lots of space on this drive though.

But because of some explorer trouble I'm waiting until I can get back some software/games that I loaned to a friend awhile back, and then I'm just going to back up a few things and format the C drive. So I'm not really worried about defragging C drive right now.

Thanks for the info:eek: :slurp:

The I/O errors (Input/Output Addresses) have nothing to do with your Antivirus Bulldog, Hard Drive or Defrag. It is relating to a possible conflict on your board around the ports. If you have three or so PCI cards installed, and all three require an IRQ, then you may see I/O Errors.

Installing an anti-virus pgm should not have any influence at all on the distribution of IRQs. The scanning (= reading of tons of files) causes the problem, which is obviously due to an overfilled, fragmented HD.

If mstpaintball re-formats and reinstalls that C-drive, his problems with I/O will be gone. (Or cleaning up and uninstall unused pgms and checking/defragging the HD).

His PCs rebooting may stem from overheating or a weak powersupply.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back