TechSpot

I should introduce myself.

By jimflint1
Jun 11, 2005
  1. Hi, I'm Shane from Salt Lake. My computer experience is just as a need-to-know-in-order-to-fix kind of thing. I generally bash through a problem, sometimes making them worse. I've gone to the trouble of building my own computer twice, so at least I have a basic knowledge.

Anyway, I've posted a few things about my computer woes here and maybe a history of the last few months would help. I began having trouble when I tried re-installing EZarmor antivirus. I'd used it before with no trouble, actually purchased it when the expiration for the year's trial came up. I don't really remember why I was reinstalling it, but in the middle of the install I stupidly turned off the computer (it had seemingly hung up on the Windows is shutting down screen).
    When next I booted up, I got extremely slow response, and a Remote Procedure Call message, giving me sixty seconds to shut down. I had no start button visible on the screen so I couldn't run the "shutdown.exe -a" command. Somehow or other I finally got the start button back, ran that command, backed up all my important files and did a re-install of XP over the top of the existing one (I didn't wipe my hard drive clean in other words).

Things seemed nearly normal for a few weeks--until I added insult to injury by attempting to again reinstall the EZ Armor anti-virus (because for some reason my updating AVG wouldn't work). I got an error message in the midst of the EZ intallation, and when I re-booted, the RPC trouble again.

Again I decided to reinstall windows, this time doing a repair reinstall. Somehow or other, my Radeon 9200se graphics had a file that got corrupted. As some of you may know from my posts--I haven't been able to get it working again. Also, my "Help and Support" Xp edition won't work. I've been wanting to set my computer on hibernate, but I can't remember how--and with no "Help and Support" files available, I've been unable to do that.

Right now, I'm just biding my time trying to wait for my vacation in July when I plan to do a complete reformat and reinstall of everything, hoping that works.

Anyway, I appreciate all the help I've been given here thus far. You are a knowledgable group.

Shane

2. AtK SpAdE

AtK SpAdE TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,495

Welcome to techspot shane. Hope to see you around.

Sean

3. kol_indian

kol_indian TS Rookie Posts: 316

Welcome to techspot :wave: :wave:

4. Phantasm66

Phantasm66 TS Rookie Posts: 5,734   +6

Hi, pleased to meet you.

5. Vigilante

Vigilante TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,666

Well backup/reload sounds good to me. Sounds like you may have Blaster/Sasser/Nachi or some kind of variant.

You could download Stinger from McAfee (do a search for it). Or do an online virus scan from Trendmicro "houscall.trendmicro.com".

See ya round

6. jimflint1

jimflint1 TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 212

Thanks. I've already run the latest version of Stinger, with no viruses found. I was able to finally get AVG up and running with all the latest updates, and I ran a scan as well with that--again, it found nothing. That was just last night--and I turned off the "System Restore" before running both of them. I'll give that online site a try.

Thanks to all of you for your warm welcome.

Shane

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.