TechSpot

I should introduce myself.

By jimflint1
Jun 11, 2005
  1. Hi, I'm Shane from Salt Lake. My computer experience is just as a need-to-know-in-order-to-fix kind of thing. I generally bash through a problem, sometimes making them worse. I've gone to the trouble of building my own computer twice, so at least I have a basic knowledge.

Anyway, I've posted a few things about my computer woes here and maybe a history of the last few months would help. I began having trouble when I tried re-installing EZarmor antivirus. I'd used it before with no trouble, actually purchased it when the expiration for the year's trial came up. I don't really remember why I was reinstalling it, but in the middle of the install I stupidly turned off the computer (it had seemingly hung up on the Windows is shutting down screen).
    When next I booted up, I got extremely slow response, and a Remote Procedure Call message, giving me sixty seconds to shut down. I had no start button visible on the screen so I couldn't run the "shutdown.exe -a" command. Somehow or other I finally got the start button back, ran that command, backed up all my important files and did a re-install of XP over the top of the existing one (I didn't wipe my hard drive clean in other words).

Things seemed nearly normal for a few weeks--until I added insult to injury by attempting to again reinstall the EZ Armor anti-virus (because for some reason my updating AVG wouldn't work). I got an error message in the midst of the EZ intallation, and when I re-booted, the RPC trouble again.

Again I decided to reinstall windows, this time doing a repair reinstall. Somehow or other, my Radeon 9200se graphics had a file that got corrupted. As some of you may know from my posts--I haven't been able to get it working again. Also, my "Help and Support" Xp edition won't work. I've been wanting to set my computer on hibernate, but I can't remember how--and with no "Help and Support" files available, I've been unable to do that.

Right now, I'm just biding my time trying to wait for my vacation in July when I plan to do a complete reformat and reinstall of everything, hoping that works.

Anyway, I appreciate all the help I've been given here thus far. You are a knowledgable group.

Shane

2. AtK SpAdE

AtK SpAdE TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,851

Welcome to techspot shane. Hope to see you around.

Sean

3. kol_indian

kol_indian TS Rookie Posts: 368

Welcome to techspot :wave: :wave:

4. Phantasm66

Phantasm66 TS Rookie Posts: 6,504   +6

Hi, pleased to meet you.

5. Vigilante

Vigilante TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,120

Well backup/reload sounds good to me. Sounds like you may have Blaster/Sasser/Nachi or some kind of variant.

You could download Stinger from McAfee (do a search for it). Or do an online virus scan from Trendmicro "houscall.trendmicro.com".

See ya round

6. jimflint1

jimflint1 TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 235

Thanks. I've already run the latest version of Stinger, with no viruses found. I was able to finally get AVG up and running with all the latest updates, and I ran a scan as well with that--again, it found nothing. That was just last night--and I turned off the "System Restore" before running both of them. I'll give that online site a try.

Thanks to all of you for your warm welcome.

Shane

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.