TechSpot

I think I found out why my computer was crashing <----

By starvista9
Nov 5, 2004
  1. I restored the system to bare bones. I only installed Norton Firewall and Norton Antivirus 2005 thats it. I DID NOT get the "Critical Updates" via Windows Update. My PC is stable at the moment with out all the critical updates.

I think one or a few of the critical updates are causing my computer to crash. My computer crashed "when" I had Service Pack 2, so I think the cause of my computer crashing was a Windows Hot Fix or a critical update.

I searched Microsoft.com for answers, but I had no luck. This has to be the problem. Everything worked fine a week ago until I ran Windows update, then my PC starting resetting and crashing. The error report said it was a "Device Driver" which caused the problem, but it wasn't.

I found this out because yesterday I reinstalled XP from the "Restore CDs that came with my computer. BEFORE I installed any other programs I ran "Windows Update and downloaded everything "Microsoft said was Critical". I restart my PC and 10 minutes later it restarts on its own saying it was a device driver. So thats why I think its one or a few of the "REcent Updates".

My Important Question is, How do I find out what update is causing this problem ?

My only quess is to "Create a Restore Point" before any updates then download one update at a time and let my computer sit idle for an hour or so. Yes this does seem Tedious , but its my only idea.

If anyone has any other suggestion I would be greatful.
    Thanks in Advance

2. Liquidlen

Liquidlen TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,646

My only quess is to "Create a Restore Point" before any updates then download one update at a time and let my computer sit idle for an hour or so. Yes this does seem Tedious , but its my only idea....Quote by Star...

You are correct,but I would continue to work my machine for a couple of days before creating a new restore point and the next update.You may not access the faulty item by letting it Idle.

Also realize the lesson in all of this .
    Had you created a restore point before Ser Pak 2............
    This is an important lesson for us all.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.