I think I may have a worm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick72992

ok yesterday i tried to run disk defrag and then it all started
first thing was it restarted itself then when it started back up the video went to like 4 bit or something and my mouse doesnt work so i ran spybot search and destroy it found a bunch of things and i fixed them but it didnt fix my problem so i went to my computer and tried to enter the windows folder it just shut the window and when i attempt to start taskmgr it just flicks off so i held it and a bunch opened allowing me to read the tittle on the taskbar and it was called ntvmd or somethingi think thats right.
but my regedit still works i was looking at other posts here to see if i could fix it and they said their regedit didnt work along with the tskmgr
please help

sorry about the double post
i miss tittled it

My pc doesnt have internet access im on a labtop right now and my mouse on my pc doesnt work but ill try to download them here and transfere the files via either cd or flashdrive

Using the flash drive will work. Have you tried accessing the system in Safe Mode? As for "my regedit still works"- suggest you don't make changes there for now.

yea im useing the flash drive and in safe mode the picture quality is back to normal but still cant use mouse and idk what else to do in safe mode
ps i dont know what regedit is so i didnt do anything there

btw i tried running avast anti virus and it says that the initialization of base library failed
nvm i did the restart and it works

ok i ran most of the steps but #s 4, 6, and 7 did not work
#4 the malware protection scan thing had a "run-time error '50003' unexpected error"
java is unable to download an update for installation
and highjack this has bad image issues it says "the APP. or DLL C:\windows\system32\oledlg.dll is not a valid windows image" then it just closes
if you can help any more id highly appreciate it and thanks for helping me so far

Sounds like you will have to do a clean Windows reinstall. Can you provide us with your complete computer specs? You may have a harware issue too

Make and model number. Amount of memory, hard drive space and OS or operating system... Windows XP, Vista etc. Click on the System Specs link on the top right side on any of my posts. You will get the idea

o well my computer was put together by my dad it isnt a name brand i have a winfast mother board creative sound card 1 hard drive i think its either 300gb or 500gb windows xp professional
but i dont have the windows os cd
my video card is radeon 9600 series

my dad has a single terrabyte on his

malwarebytes wouldnt work it had an error as stated in post 7
same with HiJackThis it wouldnt open or it did and just flashed back off iv stated this in post 7
all the logs i got are in post 8

I missed that comment. Sorry.

Run the Error Check:

My Computer> right click on Local Drive- usually C-Properties> Tools> Error Checking> Check both boxes on the screen that comes up> OK> Close the message that comes up> Reboot.

Checking will begin in a few seconds. See if you can run the programs after that. IF you still can't, run the system file checker- SFC. You may need the disc for the OS for this.

From Bleeping computer: System File Checker SFC
Instructions

• 1. Locate your Windows XP installation CD. If you don't have one, you'll need to locate a directory on your system that's named"i386" (without the quotes). This directory may be on a hidden partition on your hard drive.

2. Go to Start, then to Run, and type in "SFC.EXE /SCANNOW" (without the quotes - and with a space between the SFC.EXE and the /SCANNOW). The press Enter. (For VISTA, go to Start and type in the above information, then go to the top of the box and right click on SFC.EXE /SCANNOW and select "Run As Administrator")

3. The program may (or it may not) ask you for your Windows XP installation CD - please insert it at the prompt. If it doesn't ask you for the CD this means that it wasn't necessary to replace any files.

4. In the event the the system asks you for the CD, you must visit Windows Update immediately after the scan is completed (Please note that there won't be any confirmation dialog - the program will just exit without telling you anything).

5. If this doesn't repair the problem with your system other troubleshooting procedures are required.

Use the XP install disc that Bobbye mentions. Boot from the CD. When you get to the place where it shows your hard drive partition, select "repair" and it will look like it is installing XP fresh. follow the on-screen instructions and when it is finished, all your programs, data, settings and desktop with remain the same

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back