I think my monitor bit the big one

Status
Not open for further replies.

cshell4642

Hello, I just need some advice on which way to go from here. I turned my monitor on this morning and the power lite was blinking. Its a Dell E151Pb LCD. After hitting the power button several times, it would shut off. Thinking it was the Video Card, I disconnected the monitor and put it on another computer and it worked fine for a while, then started the same thing again. Then I swiped my son's monitor from his computer and put it on my computer,
and it works just fine, so it must be the monitor itself. Could one of the cords gone bad, and if so which one? It has a detachable power cord, but the one going to the VC is wired internally. What does it take to pull it apart and replace the cable?

Changing the video cable is not an option for the technically challenged... The monitor needs to be replaced. Nice troubleshooting by the way :)

Changing the video cable is not an option for the technically challenged... The monitor needs to be replaced. Nice troubleshooting by the way :)

Tmagic-- I got a pretty good laugh out of your reply. I may not be the brightest bulb in the box, but I'm not a total *****. You almost cost me a monitor because mine is fine. The blinking lite to someone like you should have been a clue, but instead you tell me to replace it. The setting in power for the monitor got changed to "Turn off after 20 mins"
And to your remark " not for the technically challenged"............I'm not tecnically challenged, I've built 2 computers all by myself, and I can usually fix whatever comes up. All I ask for once in a while is a little direction.

"Then I swiped my son's monitor from his computer and put it on my computer,
and it works just fine, so it must be the monitor itself. Could one of the cords gone bad, and if so which one? It has a detachable power cord, but the one going to the VC is wired internally. What does it take to pull it apart and replace the cable?"...

Most LCD monitors have detatchable video cables, standard VGA or hi-definition, as well as detachable power cords... Blinking lights can still mean there is a problem. There is a plastic plate that hides the video cable connections. All one has to do is remove this plate

"I disconnected the monitor and put it on another computer and it worked fine for a while, then started the same thing again"

That statement may have muddied the waters a bit. And, pulling apart an LCD can be tricky and is not for, err, the technically challenged.

Failing inverters and backlights can, in many cases, be changed BUT require some skill and expense and, after buying the parts, there are no guarantees you'll fix it they are ,in many cases, non-returnable items. This leads many of us 'volunteers' to just say 'Buy a new one!.'

Which doesn't mean I said you weren't technically adept or were technically challenged, but is simply statement of fact.

:)

You almost cost me a monitor because mine is fine.
Incredible how some people do not see, that you were helping not costing this member Tmagic650.

I would not worry about such ignorance from cshell4642
As your original reply was spot on. :grinthumb

I have had similar episodes with customers that have complained to me, about their actions (not mine) I've found no answer to such ignorance, except goodbye !

We await the thank-you from cshell4642 now... (Forget it, I've closed the thread, due to the possible further abuse)

Note:
All Support is freely given to Members
Members are not forced to use that free support
All resposibility of any Support taken is on that Member who decides to use it
Therefore cshell4642 nearly cost himself a Monitor due to his own actions!
Tmagic-- I got a pretty good laugh out of your reply. I may not be the brightest bulb in the box, but I'm not a total *****.
Use of such wording is against TechSpot's Guidelines and TOS

Please read how to post correctly at TechSpot, here:

TechSpot Community & Posting Guidelines
Guide to Making a Good Post/Thread
How to post a new thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back