I think PSU fried?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I turned on my new built computer with my new Enermax 535 W power supply and everything turned on except the monitor didn't show so I did a dumb move and switched the 115V to 230V on the back then i smelled something burnt. I took out that power supply and put my old one (Codegen 400W)on and the computer turned on. Any suggestions on what i should do next?

why in the world would you switch the power supply voltage if your monitor didn't display anything?? :)

If you're lucky, you'll be able to RMA that power supply...just be thankful it didn't fry your motherboard...

I actually tried to switch back from 230 to 115 V. I don't know why i messed with the switch but i guess im just Newb at computers. I just bought this PSU yesterday i hope i can exchange it. Is this the only solution to solving the problem?

johnt2008 said:
I actually tried to switch back from 230 to 115 V. I don't know why i messed with the switch but i guess im just Newb at computers. I just bought this PSU yesterday i hope i can exchange it. Is this the only solution to solving the problem?

If by problem you mean the burned out psu, then yes.

If you mean the monitor is still not displaying anything, then that`s a different problem.

Regards Howard :)

howard_hopkinso said:
If by problem you mean the burned out psu, then yes.

If you mean the monitor is still not displaying anything, then that`s a different problem.

There also seems to be another problem because the monitor is not displaying anything its blank... Wonder what's wrong with it?

Four possible causes for this.

Faulty monitor/faulty video card, or video card not installed properly/faulty psu/Faulty mobo.

Try a different monitor.

Check that you video card is properly seated, and connected. Does your video card require a separate 4 pin power connector?

Try a different video card.

howard_hopkinso said:
Four possible causes for this.

Faulty monitor/faulty video card, or video card not installed properly/faulty psu/Faulty mobo.

Try a different monitor.

Check that you video card is properly seated, and connected. Does your video card require a separate 4 pin power connector?

Try a different video card.

I know that the monitor/video card is not faulty and I'm pretty sure the video card is properly seated. I also don't think the mobo is faulty.

I also tried a different monitor, same result.

yes, my Video card requires a seperate 4 pin power connection and it's connected.

I have another video card but it's AGP and not PCIx16.

Well if as you say, the monitor, and the video card aren`t faulty, that only leaves the mobo.

Since you did change the voltage on your psu. You may have fried the mobo.

I don`t know what else I can suggest.

howard_hopkinso said:
Well if as you say, the monitor, and the video card aren`t faulty, that only leaves the mobo.

Since you did change the voltage on your psu. You may have fried the mobo.

I don`t know what else I can suggest.

The monitor shows a connection to the video card.
This happened before i changed the voltage on my Psu. I'm not sure if i fried the mobo because the processor fan spins and the hard drive turns on.

Lets start from the begining.

One day you turn on your computer, and nothing displays on the monitor.

You think ok, possible psu problem, and get a new psu. No change. You then alter the voltage of the new psu, and burn out the new psu, possibly taking the mobo with it, if it wasn`t already bad.

Your put the old psu back in, and of course, same problem, no monitor display.

You seem convinced that it`s not your video card, or monitor. This may, or may not be the case.

Perhaps your original problem was caused by a dead mobo?

If you`re not getting any post beeps, then either a faulty mobo, or faulty cpu, are the most likely culprits.

Just because your fans spin up etc. doesn`t mean that your mobo is ok.

First i built my computer. Then I tried turning it on but only the fan spins. Next I posted on this forum and I was suggested to get a new PSU because the PSU's wat is not enough for my GEFORCE 7800GT. Then I got a Enermax 535W. I hit the power button same result. After i put the screws that keeps the Mobo from touching the case. Then everything turned on except the monitor was black. I switched the voltage from 115V to 230 and then i smelled something burnt and the compute will not turn on again. Then I used my old power supply(Codegen 400W) and everything turned on except the screen. I don't think it's the mobo but if it's the mobo, what can i do and how do I know it's damaged? I ordered the parts from Newegg. This is a nightmare for me :blackeye:

I`m really sorry that you`re having major problems.

All I can suggest is you take everything out of the case, and try putting it together one piece at a time out side the case on a sheet of cardboard, or something that won`t short anything out. test at each stage of construction.

I really hope it`s not your mobo, but it does look that way.

Howard-
You may have missed one point he made:

"...I hit the power button same result. After i put the screws that keeps the Mobo from touching the case. Then everything turned on except the monitor was black. I switched the voltage..."

Apparently, on the initial install, he mounted the mobo without standoffs. This would almost certainly point to the mobo being shorted out befor ethe whole PSU switcheroo.

Johnt2008 is this the situation?

Merc14 said:
Howard-
You may have missed one point he made:

"...I hit the power button same result. After i put the screws that keeps the Mobo from touching the case. Then everything turned on except the monitor was black. I switched the voltage..."

Apparently, on the initial install, he mounted the mobo without standoffs. This would almost certainly point to the mobo being shorted out befor ethe whole PSU switcheroo.

Johnt2008 is this the situation?

Spot on Merc14. I did miss that. However, I did suggest taking everthing out of the case to rule out a short circuit.

I think more than ever now that the mobo is dead.

omg i think u might be right because one of those black round things on the MOBO labeled PCE31 is loose. That's weird because I dont think I did anything to the motherboard. So it looks like I have to have it replaced?

johnt2008 said:
omg i think u might be right because one of those black round things on the MOBO labeled PCE31 is loose. That's weird because I dont think I did anything to the motherboard. So it looks like I have to have it replaced?

When you get your replacement board. Please let us know how you get on.

Regards, and goodluck Howard :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back