I wanna know whats the best connection for 2 cdroms and 1 HDD

Status
Not open for further replies.

peacefull76

ok my question is: i have on HDD and 2 CD-ROMS normaly i tend to connect both CDs on the same ide cable (ide 2 on mobo) and HDD alone. is that the optimal connection if yes tell me why and if no, well tell me wich connection is better and why :p thx for help!

MY specs:
Mobo: intel 865gbfl
CPU: p4 3.2E 800 mhz FSB w/HT
GFX: PNY geforce 6800 GT 256MB DDR3
RAM: 1024 MB DDR 3200
HDD: 40 GIGs maxtor
CDroms: CD RW 16x10x40x + DVD rom 16x
SC: Sound blaster live 5.1

Oh another question, i know its off topic but, can my sound card slow some games ?

thx for youe help ! :grinthumb :wave:

Keep as is, the HD by itself as Master on IDE0, and keep both CD/DVD on IDE1.
Never put a HD and a CD/DVD on the same cable. The CD/DVD is a lot slower and would pull the HD down to the (slow) speed of the CD/DVD.
Soundcards have no influence on the speed of any game, a card with bad drivers could SOUND lousy, but that's about it.

realblackstuff said:
Soundcards have no influence on the speed of any game, a card with bad drivers could SOUND lousy, but that's about it.

Thats's not technically true as certain sound cards e.g. Creative Live/Audigy/Audigy2 and other dedicated soundcards tend to use less CPU Time than either onboard sound chips, or <£5 unbranded taiwanese sound cards.

Less CPU Usage processing sound = more CPU time for AI and other game engine related stuff = potentially faster games

Th3M1ghtyD8 said:
Thats's not technically true as certain sound cards e.g. Creative Live/Audigy/Audigy2 and other dedicated soundcards tend to use less CPU Time than either onboard sound chips, or <£5 unbranded taiwanese sound cards.

Less CPU Usage processing sound = more CPU time for AI and other game engine related stuff = potentially faster games
I agree with Th3M1ghtyD8. Some sound cards do use more CPU cycles than others & can actually slow frame rates on some games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back