i want the GeForce 6600 256MB

By nickfink
Dec 13, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I have a Gateway 827GM, and i was wondering if anyone knew if a PNY Verto GeForce 6600 256MB DDR AGP Graphics Card would work with my computer. They are on sell right now so I want to get it soon, right now i have a ATI Radeon Xpress 200 series. Also if the Geforce won't work with it, then what are some other good cards that don't cost more then $200, that is alot better then the one i have.

Thanks
  2. DonNagual

DonNagual TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 3,565

If this is your system:
    http://support.gateway.com/s/PC/R/4688/4688sp3.shtml

Then I'm afraid I have bad news. You do not have a PCI express OR an AGP slot. You only have pci slots for video upgrades, and frankly it is rarely worth the effort as pci technology is quite outdated these days, specifically if you are wanting to play any of the newer games.
  3. nickfink

nickfink Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

it is

yeah that is the system i have, crap
    well so i have PCI slots then, well if i have an ATI already, then can't i probably get a better ATI?
  4. vnf4ultra

vnf4ultra TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,195

Sorry, but no, your current ati graphics are "integrated", or in other words, it's physically built into the motherboard, and it cannot be removed/replaced.
    The good news is that the radeon x200 integrated chip is one of the better integrated chips, but even still a budget card like a x300hm, or 6200tc would be faster. If you set games to low settings, and use a screen resolution of 800x600 or 1024x768, and don't use any antialiasing/antisosotropic(sp?) filtering settings then it should run many games, just not at their maximum detail.
  5. crazdude

crazdude Newcomer, in training Posts: 198

not really, its intergrated, like the one I have, but i got a pci e port....... and again, Don is right, it wouldnt really be worth getting a pci card if u want to play the newer games. and that computer isnt crap...... you just dont have a slot, thats the only bad thing i see on it.
  6. nickfink

nickfink Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

hm well thanks every one, that was alot of help :approve:
  7. Berry

Berry Newcomer, in training

Whatever you do, DO NOT get the 6600 256AGP one, cause it gives a blank screen everytime you start the computer. It requires a power connection and when you do add the power to the card, the computer just refuses to boot. Nothing but a blank standby screen. I've only used nVidia cards and I never had any kind of problem with them till this stupid 6600 came along. I think you're better off going for any other card other than the nVidia GeForce blank screen 6600 256 AGP card. :haha:
  8. vnf4ultra

vnf4ultra TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,195

9. Berry

The 6600 card I got was from eagle, heck I turned it in after 2 days of frustration and got myself a better one. Hey its not only me, a few people also have or have had the same problem with the 6600. It must have a pain for them too. Still, I don't blame nVidia, I prefer nVidia over ATi, but it was frustrating for me that time :mad: oh well....... My PSU unit is 550 Antec so I guess it was the card's fault.
  10. crazdude

crazdude Newcomer, in training Posts: 198

what are the rest of ur system settings? you never know...
  11. Berry

I used the 6600 on P4 2.4Ghz, Intel 865GBF, 1 Gig RAM, One Combo and 80 GB PATA. The system had FX5200 before. The card only worked when I removed the power dongle from it but at lower clock speeds.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.