I want to put a wirless Access point to my HUB

Status
Not open for further replies.
My computer is currently Setup with a dialup Internet and a 100 MBIT network with 3 pc's

I want my note book with wireless to join in that network.. (Files/Internet)

Do I put a Wireless Access Point, to my 100Mbit network's hub?

Yes, it should work no problem. Mind you, nowadays wireless routers are actually cheaper than wireless access points and you can save some money getting a router (with less features of course) to act as an AP.

would a wireless router work as I wish it to?

My issue is I use a adsl USB Modem and my ISP only work with this modem, something to do with serial number in the modem!

So I use a hub to distrubute the Internet connection sharing on 1 computer.

so connect a wireless router will share the network to my notebook?

you can make the router treat that one computer as part of the internet...and the other computer will work just like usual

The wireless security is the same with APs and routers (a wireless router is just a wired router with an AP bolted on) - pretty poor :p

An AP or a router usually has an ethernet switch built in and you can replace your hub or connect the switch to it no problem - everything will Just Work.

Since you don't need the routing bit of the router, you have to disable some functionality to make things work. Namely, you have to disable the DHCP service in the router. You also have to adjust the LAN IP address of the router to fit your local network.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back