I want to re-apply the Thermal compound

neowing

Hello ?

I am going to clean the computer and there is a problem and I would like to ask the techspot's help.
I want to clean my computer but there are complicated parts that need instruction.

I want to dismantle the CPU and try to reapply the Thermal compound on the mainboard and the CPU.

I searched many different instructions in the Internet but I don't know which one is safe.
I believe that the techspot know my question regarding the Thermal compound.

IF possible, could you tell me the safest instruction that show pictures ?

WHY? The paste is effective, not because it's new or moist but because of its thermal conductive properties - - and they don't change over time.

Unless you intend to actually remove and reinstall a different CPU chip, leave well enough alone.

Thermal paste works by getting the heat sink to "stick" to the heat spreader on the CPU, with minimum air pockets. As thermodynamically speaking, air would act as an insulator.

The paste remains effective over time, assuming you do not remove the heatsink, even as it gets dry from the heat, the reason for this is because the air pockets are still unable to really form under the heatsink without the heatsink being tampered with.

That said, thermal paste is not something you should routinely "replace" or really mess with. Only in the instance of switching your CPU's heatsink or cooling system is it something you should be prepared to deal with.

Back