I want to restore Windows 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

twinoaks

Hello
I had an update with windows 10 and not happy at all.
After the update, found I could not get online with that computer. On doing a google search I found that Microsoft know about it. Have tried one or two things to get back online.
Main one being using command prompt and putting in "netsh winsock reset catalog" pressing enter. Then again "netsh int ip reset" press enter. Which did not work so tried something else found on the net which did not work.
So got to thinking how do I restore windows 7.
So anyone out there give me some pointers please.

Kevin

There's 10 days grace after you upgrade to W10 to roll back to the earlier OS so you're out of time. You could use a Windows 7 disk and do a fresh install but you need your validation key and also to be prepared for an awfully long update process. Your issue has to be fixable so I would be cautious about what you do next. I'm guessing that the wireless adapter won't work so how about using ethernet for a while or a usb wireless dongle to get an internet connection. Have you tried uninstalling the wireless adapter and then reinstalling? Recent Microsoft updates will probably put thing right for you once you can get on line.

Hi Bazz2004
Thanks for our comments about my problem.
The machine I'm using is a Dell OptiPlex 744 so it has no wireless adapter. I've been using ethernet connection, which worked fine up until the update.I have been using windows 10 since february of last year with no problems till this update around last week in October 2016.
So now I'm thinking of going back to windows 7.

Regards.
Kevin

I can't find any mention of an OptiPlex 744 though there is an OptiPlex 7440 all in one. I've got two OptiPlex desktops and neither of them came with an internal wireless card. I swap a USB wireless dongle between them as they are not used at the same time. It's a tiny USB device (much smaller than a USB stick) that plugs into a spare USB socket on the computer. They are extremely cheap and if you read reviews you'll find something that connects easily to your router.

It doesn't prove anything as this is a very old computer. My GX520 looks very similar and they were sold with the minimum of hardware. A pci wireless card was an optional extra so you may not have a wireless card fitted. Check in Device Manager in Control Panel to see if it is listed. If it's there uninstall it and restart Windows. It should recognise and install default drivers. You won't be any worse off if this doesn't work. As I said a USB dongle is the way to go unless you are prepared for a long struggle with installing Windows 7 - that will get you no further forward if you have no wireless card or if it has died.

I just skimmed through the thread again and in post number 3 you wrote:
"The machine I'm using is a Dell OptiPlex 744 so it has no wireless adapter. "
If it isn't there it won't work whatever version of Windows you have. You need to buy a wireless adapter compatible with Windows 10 for maybe £5.

Last edited:
Hi Bazz2004
I've had a look for a pci wireless card but nothing like that appears to be there.
Only things with pci in front of it is the following:-
PCI controller
PCI express root complex
PCI standard isa bridge
4 x lines with PCI to PCI bridge

Something I also noted but nothing to do PCI wireless card.
4 x lines configuration device?
8 x lines nForce memory controller?

Anyway, looks like you what said is the way to go, get a USB dongle.
Would it be best to buy a Netgear one as my router is that make thats compatible with Windows 10?

Regards.
Kevin

It isn't important whether or not it is a Netgear adapter - their prices are quite high. What you need is something that reviewers have said works well with Windows 10. Take your time and maybe read some Amazon reviews to learn more.
There's a good chance Windows 10 will identify the adapter and automatically install drivers for Windows 10.

Try to update the driver for the adaptor by in device manager by the update driver button or manually downloading it for windows 10 from dell's website. Also you might try flashing the bios to the latest version since it such an old computer. Also, an internal pc card Ethernet adaptor might be a solution if you want to use Ethernet and the one on the motherboard is fried. They are very cheap also. Sounds like though you either need to update driver or bios or both since it happened when you got an os update.

Last edited:
If you really want to get back to Windows 7 backup some important files and buy a 64x windows 7 disc and install it

Wolf

Still no further to getting my internet connection up and running.
Brought, ANEWISH Wifi Dongle AC Dual Band 5GHz 433Mbps Wireless USB Wifi Adapter
for PC / Desktop / Laptop / Tablet, Supports Windows 10/8/7/Vista/XP/2000, Mac Os X 10.4-10.11.4 and 10.12.1
But can't get it working,they said you can just plugin and it will work with Windows 10. However, I downloaded the disc that came with all the files and installed.So I've also removed all the files after I was told just to plug the adapter in. Yet on the icon on the taskbar of windows there was a popup with "no RTL818x" So what does this mean?
Just about run out of ideas now. Thanks for all the people have tried to help.

Have brought another usb wireless adapter called "Laptone". Done the same thing as the other, downloaded files and things looked good. Then again on the taskbar of windows there was a popup with "IEEE802.11 WLAN Not exist".

So the question I'm now asking is, what could be the problem with both adapters saying "no RTL818x" and "IEEE802.11 WLAN Not exist"??

Last edited:
I just looked up the Anewish adapter that you bought and it looks a really good one. You may well have messed up by trying to install software with the enclosed CD rather than letting Windows 10 do it all for you. You have hopefully uninstalled the drivers rather than deleting them. Uninstall both adapters via the Remove Programs section within Control Panel then restart Windows. Next, plug in the Anewish adapter, restart Windows 10 and see if the Anewish adapter is recognised and working. Don't waste any money by buying another adapter. This is about as easy as it gets with a computer. Is there someone computer savvy that you know who could help you with this?

I did rather rush my last post because I was about to go out so I'll add a bit more. Your computer could do with a bit of a tidy up as you have been trying to get several different wireless adapters to work and are seeing error messages. CCleaner is a utility often mentioned on the forum which has a free version for download. It'll appear in the download section of this forum. Many utilities can be risky to use but CCleaner will check your registry for errors and you can also use it to clean up unnecessary files. You can be confident that it won't create any new problems and it may make the install of your wireless adapter easier. Don't give up. It's always a great feeling when you finally crack a problem. Reinstalling Windows 7 would be a far bigger challenge than this.

Since you've started another thread for this same problem in another TS forum, I'm closing this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back