I want to start fresh, but how?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adonis 27

Hey there guys, i have a n00b question for you. My computer has been not been receiving updates since November and i cant find the fix for the error codes im getting. So i'm kind of fed up with it and have decided to restore everything and start fresh. I have everything important to me (music, games, pictures, etc) on a external harddrive. The thing is, my computer came preloaded with Vista Home Premium, so i don't have any disks. After deleting everything, i'll be installing Vista Black Edition (i think thats Ultimate?). So after all that background info, heres my true question:

How do i clear everything (or atleast, most of everything), so i can have a clean install of the new Vista i have?

Thank you very much for all the help you can provide. Sorry its such a lame question, but when i Googled it, i kept getting mixed answers.

I'm not sure if I understand your question right, you say you don't have any disks, so how are you going to install a different version of Vista? :confused:

Anyway, if you want a clean installation, and have backed up your documents/music/games/programs etc., you can boot from your Vista installation disk, choose a personalized installation and format your hdd before install.

Sorry for the confusion. I meant, i don't have any disks from Vista Home Premium since it was preinstalled. I do have the new Vista Black Edition disks that i went out and bought.

So can i use the new disks (Vista Black) to do a personalized install and to format my hdd? Thanks for all the help.

thank you very much for all the help you've given. I have 1 last question however. I have a preinstalled video card in the computer. If i format my HDD, will i have to reinstall the video card?

It depends. Vista will probably recognise it and install a suitable driver, but it might give you more facilities and controls if you install the proper Vista driver obtained by download from the manufacturer site. I dont know what you mean by 'pre-installed', but if you mean 'on the motherboard' then the driver will come from the motherboard driver set. And yes, you will certainly need to install all the motherboard drivers after the install of Vista to get things working optimally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back