I want to transfer office 2003 from my laptop to the pc

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm new to this, it's taken me ages to find somewhere where I can write something! I'm too old for all this! All I want to know (please) is the answer to this....
My laptop is great, i've got xp pro on it, as i have on my pc. I want to transfer office 2003 from my laptop to the pc (was a friends), but don't know how! I've stored office 2003 on an external hard drive (I haven't got the ID number or disc, just moved house and lost loads, don't get me started on photographs!), but that's as far as I've got. I've heard about creating networks etc, but I really have no idea, I'm OK at b asic software skills (In office), but other than that I get as far as the on button! As I said, I'm getting too old! Any ideas more than welcome (if I manage to post this!)

First of all, Welcome to TechSpot! I hope you'll love this place as much as I do.

You'll need to locate the Office 2003 install CDs and do a fresh install on your PC.

Now (this may sound confusing) if you don't have them, you could probably try copying the folder containing the office applications from your laptop to your PC, but I doubt it would work without also copying some files from "%programfiles%\common files\microsoft shared" and copying Office's registry entries in "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Microsoft\Office" from the laptop to the PC, but even with that it still might not work. (substitute %programfiles% with the correct directory on your computer, most likely "C:\Program Files".)

If you don't know how to do the above and you also don't have the original install CDs and a serial-number for Office, then I would advise you to either buy a new copy of Office or start using OpenOffice.org

I don't think it can be done unless you have original install files and the reg keys
from the discs or disc.
check with MS website for migration info
there are programs that will get the reg keys off of old machine
don't know any names off hand

Nodsu said:
Take that "fully compatible" with a grain of salt :)
I've never run across a single instance where files wouldn't xfer. I use it all the time on all my computers. And OO is updated probably more often than MS office is.

Jesse_hz said:
First of all, Welcome to TechSpot! I hope you'll love this place as much as I do.

You'll need to locate the Office 2003 install CDs and do a fresh install on your PC.

Now (this may sound confusing) if you don't have them, you could probably try copying the folder containing the office applications from your laptop to your PC, but I doubt it would work without also copying some files from "%programfiles%\common files\microsoft shared" and copying Office's registry entries in "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Microsoft\Office" from the laptop to the PC, but even with that it still might not work. (substitute %programfiles% with the correct directory on your computer, most likely "C:\Program Files".)

If you don't know how to do the above and you also don't have the original install CDs and a serial-number for Office, then I would advise you to either buy a new copy of Office or start using OpenOffice.org

This is the only way to get Office 2003 on your laptop other than cloning your desktop hard drive to you laptops hard drive...

Correct me if I am wrong, but office is just like XP and can only be loaded on 1 pc per license unless you have a multiple installation license.

I use Seagate's DiskWizard to "clone" a drive's entire image to another drive. Usually the cloned drive goes into the same computer as the old drive was installed... The clone drive is an exact copy of the old C drive. Notice I used the word "exact"...

The standard edition of Office 2003 is limited to one computer, the student teacher edition can be loaded on up to 3 computers. Since you have lost your cd and key I would highly recommend that you download KeyFinderThing and retrieve the cd key in case you ever have to reinstall the application on your laptop.

http://majorgeeks.com/Keyfinder_Thing_Lite_d5253.html

It sounds like your Laptop came with Office 03 pre installed, and the machine is not that old so you could get new installation disks from the manufacturer.

You will have to buy a new copy of Office for your PC though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back