I was infected & you cleaned me

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was infected with a Malware that hijacked my desktop, removed my C drive from My Computer, and suggested I download Antivirus2008pro.exe to clean my machine. I am not tech smart, but I am not that dumb either.

I restarted in Safe Mode with Networking and found your instructions through Google.
I followed instructions and seem to have my machine back with only minor problems.

Some problems DID come up while cleaning with your instructions and thought you would be interested. I was in Safe Mode and use Windows XP Home ed. with SP2.

1. Step 6 - SuperAntiSpyware would not start. "Administrator denied access" I am the administrator of my machine. Malwarebytes did work.

2. Step 8 - Ad-Aware would not start. "Exception EAccessViolation module Ad-Aware.exe @ 001DCCAy" error message.

3. Step 12 - Combofix.exe would not work so I used Deckard's System Scanner.

4. After step 14 I rebooted in Normal Mode and these error messages came up as Windows Started;

ssupdate.exe
wbload.exe
Nwiz.exe
Reader_sl.exe
matcli.exe
closeAll.exe - (3407_app comepat.txt)

5. Ran Ad-Aware in Normal mode and it found Virtumode not found in the tools in step 10.

6. After I got my machine back I am having problems with IE 7. It will not accept cookie (even with ALL COOKIES checked). I cannot get to my e-mail and even your site comes up with a Certificate ERROR. These are not problems with Modzilla.

Again, thank you for the instructions and I hope my notes above help out.

Richardlog

Your post shows that your system requires further cleaning. You have a heavy set of infestations.
Which ones can you re-run in Safe Mode.
Can you put that drive in a USB enclosure and run all the detect and removal tools from another drive?
Consider running ComboFix, Spyware Doctor 5.5, Antivir antivirus, and BitDefender Scans... and when you cannot run in normal mode, attempt to run them in SAFE MODE.
When you think you are done, re-run your Windows Install disk in Repair mode, as you will likely have incurred some damage.

Thank you, I will give that a try. I am also installing SP 3.
The problem is that, like so many others of us non-tech computer users, Windows came installed on the hard drive with NO install disk. Unless it is installed on the HD, I cannot use a disk for "Repair mode," as I have no disk.

Again, thank you for your help.

Do you have a Windows XP product ID sticker on the back or side of your computer. If so, give me the other codes... not the product ID. I want to see if it is consistent with what I can send you.

Otherwise, tell us what you have for Windows? Is there a hidden partition with Windows on it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back