I will paypal 5 bucks to any one person who can solve this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

acneil

Ok, heres the problem that cant be answered.

When you create a new folder in xp, lets say on the desktop for instance. Name it blah blah, then double click and open the folder. That window that opens is ALWAYS one size, I think its 640, but anyway, somewhere some how there "should" be a way to change that default.

Im NOT talking about remembering settings for windows and folders you always use or already have, Im talking about the INITIAL creation of the folder.

So heres the deal, anyone who can find this setting gets 5 bucks paypal'd to their email address.

You cant use a program or some addon, you must find the actual setting to get the five bucks.

Thanks. We shall see.:grinthumb

I am fairly certain your money is safe, I don't theink there is a setting. The closest thing I know of is to open the folder(or pretty much any explorer or IE window, and resize the window, hold down SHIFT while closing the window. It should now open at that size.

I checked it before posting, the new folder opened at the same size and any other folder.

I don't want your money, I'm just saying, that does what you want and it does work on new folders, at least for me, I even had someone else from the forums try it while in the IRC channel, worked for him too.

You probably named the folder "new folder" try naming it "999555444333aaa" or something that has never been used before. that way you will get the default.

Again, it does, and was tested by another member as well.

Maybe you have some utility or something that is keeping this from working for you.

I dont have any utilities, Ive tried this on xp home and pro, on fresh installs. And older installs.

So if I open any folder and stretch the window out to whatever, Im using 1600 x 1200, so Ill stretch it out to about 1100 square, then I hold shift and close it.

Then I make a new folder on the desktop and name it 7347858739 or whatever as long as ive NEVER used that name before, and as soon as I open it for the first time the default is 640 or about. Which is small and useless. I use alot of new folders with completely new names, and Im tired of stretching each one.
I can stretch it out and it will remember my setting just fine, Im not talking about that. Im talking about the first time you open a new folder with a new name. The default is small.

Not for you?

nope, it remembers what I did using shift+close.
I have noticed that for some reason(possibly another application, or installing something, will change the default sizing, but I just open a window, set it, and all is good again. Never really thought about it that much till you brought up the topic, thats why I had others test it. Though one person did say that only his first new folder opened like that, afterward all his went back to the old setting(he was using 2K) I tried it on XP Home and Pro(separate machines)

ya if you make a string of new folders and name then a, b, c, d, e and create them by just right click on the desktop and hit new folder and then make sure and not use the name "new folder". and then open it, the window size is small. cant figure out why. if i set the window how i want, it holds the setting just fine and i can close it and reopen it and its just how i set it, but i have to set each and every one that is newly named. xp remembers settings for folders just fine for me, but that first open is always small on folders with names xp has never seen before and has no settings remembered for it. sux.

Originally posted by acneil
not all day but 5 to 30 times a day

Basically all day then? ;)

I know what you are talking about though.. Unfortunately, I don't have an answer. You might want to try the link in my signature though, because I know there are some issues with window sizing that are documented with Microsoft and they may have a fix for what you'd like to do.

the shift+close worked for me too.. thanks so much for that StormBringer! Now my windows open how I want them to :) No more resizing everytime I open one.

Glad it was useful to someone. It even works on new folders for me. I'm fairly sure I am using "new" names for the folders I've tested it with, but I guess it is possuble I have had folders with names like kllkjkjuiilhu, and hfkhjshfwrhnd before.

One other note that might have some importance here, I don't have the option ticked that makes windows remember each folder's size after closing it. In some of the things I read, some people indicate this may have an effect on newly created folder sizing.

Funnily enough, I will pay $5 via paypall to the person who knows this:

Why do newbiez always post non-descriptive topic names like "Please help me!" or "I will send a free video card to someone who can solve my problem"?

I am convinced that there is an answer ;)

No offence meant, acneil old pal. Its good to have you here.

Originally posted by Phantasm66
Funnily enough, I will pay $5 via paypall to the person who knows this:

Why do newbiez always post non-descriptive topic names like "Please help me!" or "I will send a free video card to someone who can solve my problem"?

I am convinced that there is an answer ;)

No offence meant, acneil old pal. Its good to have you here.
I believe I can answer that question. The reason why newbies do this is simply because they are 'newbies' and don't know how to make proper posts (hence the term 'newbie'). Oh, and you can keep your $5 as i only accept £. :D

Originally posted by Nic
I believe I can answer that question. The reason why newbies do this is simply because they are 'newbies' and don't know how to make proper posts (hence the term 'newbie'). Oh, and you can keep your $5 as i only accept £. :D

Nah, you don't win the $5, that's not right. A newbie with a brain would still post a descriptive topic name. Its not some kind of niche thing that only happens here - posting concisely and straight-forwardly as far as topic names go strikes me as quite obviously logical and sensible.

Logical thinking is part of being into computers - a big part.

Not that I am that bothered -who cares anyway, it will still get answered, but I always wonder what goes on inside newbiez heads when this happens.

...oh, and I was also being sarcastic...! Couldn't you tell?!?!?! ;)

Everyone hates that over at EOCF, there must be at least 20 threads in the Rants section about how n00bs don't post descriptive title or how n00bs don't use the search feature...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back