I wish i knew...

Seder

Here is a list of things i wish i knew how to do so i could better enjoy my computer... If you have any answers, please post them :D.

-- Sorry if this isn't the right forum. I didn't know where to post my questions on how to do certain things X_X.

- I wish i knew how to make installers not have a huge full screen background.

- I wish i knew how to make Task Manager have priority above all other programs like in Windows 2000.

- I wish i knew how to see the programs and file extensions that a .exe does. For example, i wish i could see all the databases and files that a .exe is trying to use.

- I wish i knew how to make my computer able to read minds...

- I wish i knew how to make programs Windowed mode when the game/program doesn't allow for it in options.

- I wish i knew how to make Firefox open up faster at certain times. For some reason, my Firefox will take like 10 seconds to open up, and at other times it will take a second or two. I don't have a homepage for it (its untitled).

- I wish i knew how to make ZoneAlarm show the yellow dialog box above other programs. The reason being i tried to start the game "archlord" and ZoneAlarm denied it because it didn't show me the yellow bubble box thing due to Archlord being full screen.

- I wish I knew how to make a computer do my work by itself...

I can answer all of those,except 7 of them.:haha:

Firefox takes always takes longer the first time you open it,as it uses a fair amount of memory.
Especially with extensions.It`s prefetched after the first time.

Also if your PC already memory challenged FF won`t help.Use Opera

On my XP the Task Manager can be given real time priority whilst it`s running.
The default is high priority.Right click 'taskmngr.exe' select priority

Comodo does a lot of things Zone Alarm can`t do.I`ll get back to you on the full
screen dialogues.

Your computer will do what ever you ask it to do,if you ask precisely the right question.

When You Wish Upon a Star........

Seder said:
- I wish i knew how to make Firefox open up faster at certain times. For some reason, my Firefox will take like 10 seconds to open up, and at other times it will take a second or two. I don't have a homepage for it (its untitled).

- I wish I knew how to make a computer do my work by itself...

Considering the length of time it takes my Verizon version of IE6 to boot, I think 10 seconds is almost blindingly fast, and certainly not too much of your life wasted waiting for it to open.

Let's suppose your computer could read your mind then do all of the work you wanted it to do, by itself. What would you do with the time you saved. My money's on you sitting around, trying to think up even more annoying questions to ask us.

If you think you might like a good Sci-Fi story about a race of beings that built an all powerful computer to do everything for them, you should check out "Forbidden Planet". it's a very loose interpretation of Shakespear's "The Tempest". If that seems like too much trouble, have your computer watch it for you, then tell you what it thinks.

Oh BTW, have a nice day, and a pleasant tomorrow!

BlameCanada said:
I can answer all of those,except 7 of them.:haha:

Firefox takes always takes longer the first time you open it,as it uses a fair amount of memory.
Especially with extensions.It`s prefetched after the first time.

Also if your PC already memory challenged FF won`t help.Use Opera

On my XP the Task Manager can be given real time priority whilst it`s running.
The default is high priority.Right click 'taskmngr.exe' select priority

Comodo does a lot of things Zone Alarm can`t do.I`ll get back to you on the full
screen dialogues.

Your computer will do what ever you ask it to do,if you ask precisely the right question.

Firefox doesn't just do it the FIRST time, i just tried closing and re-opening like 2 seconds after and it had a 10 second delay again.

I don't understand FF or Opera O_o...

I wish the taskmanager would OPEN as the only process. In 2000, if i ever had a debug problem from some program... I could do CTRL ALT DELETE and i could open task manager in a snap.

Don't know about Comodo that well, heard great things about ZA.

The read minds and computer do everything by itself was a joke :p. My post was unbearably boring and bland...

Have you tried running disk clean up and disk defragmenter recently. That may help with your browser lag a little.

Captaincranky, Forbidden Planet, great old film, one of my favourites.:)

On Second Thought.......

Some of these "I wishes", unfortunately make less sense in the second reading than they did in the first.
How could Task Manager be the "only process running" when the computer needs a couple dozen processes just to keep itself running. In XP Task Manager prioritizes itself always as the top window.
Zone alarm does a lot of goofy things. However, it is free and it can do a lot of good also. If it won't grant permissions to play any given game, simply shut it off before you try to launch the game, if that's not too much trouble.
Nothing will boot quickly given insufficient hardware resources, but how would we know what your hardware resources are? Our computers can't read minds either.

Philosophically, I think mind reading would be the quickest way to piss yourself off at everyone all the time.

RE :Firefox

Have you tried editing the FF shortcut and adding /prefetch:1 eg

' "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" /prefetch:1 '

It sometimes helps.

RE :Task Manager

On my XP pro, alt+ctrl+del brings up task manager almost instantly,
and minimizes all other programs.

Maybe it`s a keyboard problem ?

Task Manager goes up instantly UNLESS there is a debuging program. When i say debugging, i mean i tried to close and end now, but it is still just completely still not doing a thing. I try to open up Task Manager, and it usually has to wait to debug the program before it even goes up. If i had task manager up,i could just end process but i can't get it up. See what i'm saying?

I have a pretty low-end computer... 512mb ram, 128mb video card, 2gigAMD. Nothing special about my hard drive or anything. But i don't understand why i can load a game slower then i can load Firefox. I understand prefretches and all, but jeez.

I don't really mean the only process running, i mean the only one that is actually in priority. My Task manager doesn't minimize or do anything else to other programs.

-- I'll try disk cleanup and prefetch.

I suspect your pc is infected.

You should go to the Security and the Web forum, read the stickies, then make a post there.

It's not infected because of that, i use VB from time to time and if i put in a wrong code it will instantly freak out and try executing the code and trying to save itself. Doesn't have to do with an infected computer, just a code that is bad >.>... Task Manager opens in less then a second if i don't have the game, VB and firefox running at the same time. If i do have them running and VB just had a code error because i forgot to place a 1 or a = key... it takes a long time for it to open.

I tried prefetch:1, and i have no idea but now it opens in about 1 or so seconds...

I don't understand though, why would your task manager minimize other programs? I mean... Task manager shows over the other programs... but it doesn't minimize them...

Seder said:
I don't understand though, why would your task manager minimize other programs? I mean... Task manager shows over the other programs... but it doesn't minimize them...
I meant it shows over other programs ;)

Back