I7 6700K or I7 5820k, choices, choices

cartera

I am looking to do a major upgrade of my PC in the next few weeks, the itch is now too bad to not scratch!

What I can't decide is which CPU to choose. I primarily use my PC for gaming but do work from home a lot and use it as a workstation running VMs and having multiple windows open to other PCs via Remote Desktop or TeamViewer.

I have been thrown between the 6700k and the 5820k for a couple of weeks now and want Techspots opinions. If I was to go the 5820k route I would follow very similar lines to Techspots luxury PC building guide from last November. If I was to take the 6700k route I would get a Z170 mobo. It's worth pointing out in the UK at the moment the prices between these two are negligible.

EDIT: forgot to mention, initially I will be running a single 980ti with a 1440p monitor. I would like the option to add another 980ti to go SLI though and I will be using the Samsung 950 m.2.

Thanks in advance.

For virtual machine use all quad core CPU's are basically useless (unless that usage is light) so i7-5820K is better choice.

GTX980Ti SLI makes no sense. SLI setups always have problems and better graphic cards are around corner. Also for 1440p 980Ti is overkill (or too expensive).

VM usage is light. I would like the option for SLI in the future for if I step up to 4K.

Why do you say the 980ti is overkill at 1440p? Even at up to 100Hz?

VM usage is light. I would like the option for SLI in the future for if I step up to 4K.

Why do you say the 980ti is overkill at 1440p? Even at up to 100Hz?

By saying "light", you mean how many virtual machines are used same time and how much load for them?

For 100 Hz perhaps not. For 4K gaming future GPU's are however much better so basically 980Ti is waste of money at this point. 14/16nm+HBM2 will be perhaps biggest single improvement on GPU's ever. Also 980Ti is not good on DX12 software.

2 VMs st most, with light loads. Testing purposes rather than anything else. Primary usage will be gaming.

2 VMs st most, with light loads. Testing purposes rather than anything else. Primary usage will be gaming.

That makes no difference then.

I'd go with 5820K. Much more future proof choice altough today's games may be bit slower. Also worth to consider that LGA2011-3 is top end and LGA1151 low end platform. So basically 6700K is overpriced (or 5820K underpriced). For same price, I'd go with 5820K.

Thanks for your thoughts, the 5820k seems to beat the 6700k on most bench tests by a good margin too. Looks like the 5820k is the choice :)

Back