Ibm 2162-s9c

By Nightowl
Dec 25, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I have one of these that I want to get the sound up and running again. I am wondering, what type of sound card that this will take. I will be buying it off Ebay, and they do have some good Sound Blaster 5.1's on there. I am not sure if the computer can take something like this or not. Now before you go and think I am crazy, I just want to putz around with it for awhile. I do have it hooked up to the web, but only on dial up. I was wondering also if I bought a linksys card for it, that I could network it into my other computers and laptops, that I run in the house, or will this computer not be able to handle something like this? 200 MZ MMX, 64 megs of ram, and 3 gigs of harddrive. I bought it new in 97, for 2300.00 dollars. Boy have times changed.:rolleyes:
  2. Boogityboo04

Boogityboo04 Newcomer, in training Posts: 351

Assuming it has PCI slots, a new network card should work fine. I used Netgear 100mbs card for a long time in some old 200mhz computers.

About the sound, I'm not sure if it will even run fast enough to have playback w/o skipping, but the card should work assuming its running something like Windows 98 or NT SP6.
  3. Nightowl

Nightowl Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 63

It does have windows 98 on it I am not sure if that was the one I used the sound blaster on or not, but when I did a search on the computer for sound blaster, it did come up, as did the creative eax. It says it needs some drivers to make it work, but I looked for them, and couldn't find them. Thats why I thought I would just go and replace the board. I am going to assume, without taking it out, that the sound board is the original, and maybe it did at one time have the sound blaster in it, because I remember buying one new, and putting it in a computer, I am just not sure this was the one or not. The pics on ebay, don't look like what is in there now.
  4. Nightowl

Can anybody tell me what a good sound card would be for this machine? I know it is almost 10 years old, but I would think there must be something out there I could try. Thanks

Richard
  5. Nightowl

I pulled the card, and it says crystal on the black squares that are on the board. One number is a CS9236-CL EP, and the other is a CS4237B-KQ
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.