IBM 2250

I'm lately rather into retro gaming, and I stumbled across this gem:

500004667-03-01

Apparently this was the IBM 2250 Graphics Display, and it seems almost like an early console of sorts. I know that what happens on these is usually serious work involving graphics, but who said they can't be used for playing some games? It comes with a keyboard and some programmable buttons on the left, and a built-in, light-pen controlled screen. It would seem like the perfect retro console.

3-ibm-2250.jpg

Here's some evidence that it actually played games.

These are quite rare even when they were actually used, so I'm not on the lookout for an actual unit, which would need a mainframe for proper operation anyway. I'm looking for some kind of emulation software.

Look at all the fun happening:
2250-expo-1.jpg

Only requires a 360 - just a few million bucks. I helped finance one for the state government - not including the 2250 - it weighed in a bit over $3 million. ("Big Iron")

Very special code to operate it -- GAM (Graphics Access Method) - - NON ascii (EBCDIC) and vector processing commands
(move from x,y to x2,y2).

Not likely as there's a channel controller about the size of refrigerator also required.

Look, this is all fun, but if you could find it, it requires three-phase 240 ac plus a controlled air environment. The device will never operate as a console so it's time to give up on it.

Back