TechSpot

IBM 2250

By y11971alex
Aug 6, 2016
Post New Reply
  1. I'm lately rather into retro gaming, and I stumbled across this gem:

[​IMG]

Apparently this was the IBM 2250 Graphics Display, and it seems almost like an early console of sorts. I know that what happens on these is usually serious work involving graphics, but who said they can't be used for playing some games? It comes with a keyboard and some programmable buttons on the left, and a built-in, light-pen controlled screen. It would seem like the perfect retro console.

[​IMG]

Here's some evidence that it actually played games.

These are quite rare even when they were actually used, so I'm not on the lookout for an actual unit, which would need a mainframe for proper operation anyway. I'm looking for some kind of emulation software.

Look at all the fun happening:
    [​IMG]

2. Cycloid Torus

Cycloid Torus TS Evangelist Posts: 1,657   +309

Only requires a 360 - just a few million bucks. I helped finance one for the state government - not including the 2250 - it weighed in a bit over $3 million. ("Big Iron")

3. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 9,322   +621

Very special code to operate it -- GAM (Graphics Access Method) - - NON ascii (EBCDIC) and vector processing commands
    (move from x,y to x2,y2).

4. Cycloid Torus

Cycloid Torus TS Evangelist Posts: 1,657   +309

EBCDIC!!! Translation Tables...OMG...I'm going to have bad dreams all night!!

5. y11971alex

y11971alex TS Rookie Topic Starter

Would a Model 20 do? It's the cheapest!

6. jobeard

Not likely as there's a channel controller about the size of refrigerator also required.

7. y11971alex

y11971alex TS Rookie Topic Starter

Can I find one of those?

8. jobeard

Look, this is all fun, but if you could find it, it requires three-phase 240 ac plus a controlled air environment. The device will never operate as a console so it's time to give up on it.