IBM claims Twitter is in violation of three patents they own

Shawn Knight

Staff member

ibm twitter patents patent infringement

IBM has accused microblogging platform Twitter of infringing on three patents they own according to a recent update to Twitter’s S1 document filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission. IBM is reportedly open to resolving the violations without getting the legal system involved but it is unclear if Twitter is willing to go down that road.

The patents in question are U.S. Patent No. 6,957,224 which deals with efficient retrieval of uniform resource locators, U.S. Patent No. 7,072,849 relating to a method for presenting advertising in an interactive service and U.S. Patent No. 7,099,862 pertaining to programmatic discovery of common contacts.

In the SEC filing, Twitter said that based on their preliminary review of the patents, they believe they have meritorious defenses to IBM’s allegations although there can be no assurance that they will be successful in defending against them or reaching a business resolution that works for both parties.

Of course, IBM isn’t the only company coming after Twitter over patent infringement. The social blogging site said they are currently involved in a number of intellectual property lawsuits and as they face increasing competition and gain an even higher profile, they expect the number of lawsuits and other intellectual property claims against them to increase.

It’s all a case of bad timing for Twitter as they inch closer to their IPO and as such, they must tread carefully when handling such allegations. Fighting off big companies like IBM in court would be costly and time-consuming but at the same time, bowing down could hurt their financial results.

Permalink to story.

Really... I dont see anything that twitter is infringing on anything except the obvious troll patents made to fork money out of companies even tho they are soo simple that they should be non-patentable.

Yes, it would be a terrible loss if "The BSS Twitanic", were to go down in a frigid sea of angry, litigious, icebergs.

I love it how these patent trolls sit back and wait in ambush for a company to actually start making money before pouncing on them. Is there not a law that states that a company must make a claim within a limited amount of time?

I think we should give up on modern technology and go back to the iron age. It would teach them all a lesson. They didn't make their own bodies and yet think they have some right to own the collective, purchased or otherwise "machinations" occasionally emitted from them.

Humans are great at tinkering around with phenomenon but stupid as a stone when it comes to recognizing interdependent origination.

I love it how these patent trolls sit back and wait in ambush for a company to actually start making money before pouncing on them. Is there not a law that states that a company must make a claim within a limited amount of time?...[ ]...
Not really, a patent has a term of 17 years, and it doesn't matter at what point during that tenure, it's claimed the patent has been infringed on.

Besides, why sue someone with no money? There's nothing to be gained by it. That's the very definition of a frivolous lawsuit.

Most Federal TORT claims allow up to 2 years for filing. So maybe 19 years total?

Besides, "poor Twitter is getting ambushed", that's patently absurd! (See what I did there)?

Perhaps to stop them from making money on your patent.
Probably they'll make money on your patent, while your engineers are tied up illegally reverse engineering the concept to determine if it's infringing....

You see, this software isn't "open source", and in a perverse sort of way, (to me anyway), I think you have to commit a crime, to prove a crime. Not sure though.

Besides, I doubt that there is a corporate entity on the planet whose patents have been infringed on more than IBM. Their original PC was reverse engineered & copied wantonly and flagrantly.

It's really cavalier to simply dismiss the issue as "patent trolling", simply because it's a patent issue.

Garbage in garbage out... what a broken system..
and why is that patent even approve in the first place.. its too generic.. "deals with efficient retrieval of uniform resource locators" GPS?

Garbage in garbage out... what a broken system..
and why is that patent even approve in the first place.. its too generic.. "deals with efficient retrieval of uniform resource locators" GPS?
You understand the Albert Einstein worked in a patent office, right? I doubt government human resources departments luck out in their hiring to that extent very often.

Back