IBM claims Twitter is in violation of three patents they own

By Shawn Knight
Nov 4, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. IBM has accused microblogging platform Twitter of infringing on three patents they own according to a recent update to Twitter’s S1 document filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission. IBM is reportedly open to resolving the violations without getting the...

Read more
  2. wastedkill

wastedkill TechSpot Maniac Posts: 1,116   +229

Really... I dont see anything that twitter is infringing on anything except the obvious troll patents made to fork money out of companies even tho they are soo simple that they should be non-patentable.
    Darth Shiv likes this.
  3. H3llion

H3llion TechSpot Paladin Posts: 962   +98

And let the patent wars begin once more...
  4. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 10,586   +863

Yes, it would be a terrible loss if "The BSS Twitanic", were to go down in a frigid sea of angry, litigious, icebergs.
  5. NTAPRO

NTAPRO TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 807   +91

6. I love it how these patent trolls sit back and wait in ambush for a company to actually start making money before pouncing on them. Is there not a law that states that a company must make a claim within a limited amount of time?

I think we should give up on modern technology and go back to the iron age. It would teach them all a lesson. They didn't make their own bodies and yet think they have some right to own the collective, purchased or otherwise "machinations" occasionally emitted from them.

Humans are great at tinkering around with phenomenon but stupid as a stone when it comes to recognizing interdependent origination.
    cliffordcooley likes this.
  7. captaincranky

Not really, a patent has a term of 17 years, and it doesn't matter at what point during that tenure, it's claimed the patent has been infringed on.

Besides, why sue someone with no money? There's nothing to be gained by it. That's the very definition of a frivolous lawsuit.

Most Federal TORT claims allow up to 2 years for filing. So maybe 19 years total?

Besides, "poor Twitter is getting ambushed", that's patently absurd! (See what I did there)?
  8. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 8,421   +217

Perhaps to stop them from making money on your patent.
  9. captaincranky

Probably they'll make money on your patent, while your engineers are tied up illegally reverse engineering the concept to determine if it's infringing....

You see, this software isn't "open source", and in a perverse sort of way, (to me anyway), I think you have to commit a crime, to prove a crime. Not sure though.

Besides, I doubt that there is a corporate entity on the planet whose patents have been infringed on more than IBM. Their original PC was reverse engineered & copied wantonly and flagrantly.

It's really cavalier to simply dismiss the issue as "patent trolling", simply because it's a patent issue.
  10. dennis777

dennis777 TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 274   +29

Garbage in garbage out... what a broken system..
    and why is that patent even approve in the first place.. its too generic.. "deals with efficient retrieval of uniform resource locators" GPS?
  11. captaincranky

You understand the Albert Einstein worked in a patent office, right? I doubt government human resources departments luck out in their hiring to that extent very often.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.