IBM Deskstars 75GXP Troubles

Status
Not open for further replies.

boeingfixer

IBM Deskstars 60 GXP Troubles

Hey all,

I have read some bad news about IBM's Deskstar prob's with the 120 and 75 GXP series. I just bought two 60 GXP series and was wondering if anyone has heard or had any problems with this series ?

I am getting two hard drive coolers to help the drives. I don't like IBM's stance on only leaving the computer on for 8 hours at a time. Mine stays on 24/7.

Any advice would be appriciated.

Re: IBM Deskstars 60 GXP Troubles

I've got a 75Gxp and a 60GXP and has so far avoided any trouble....

It's only a minority of the drives shipped that experience problems, but with so many drives being shipped...

As for the 24/7, I try to give the hdd's at least one nights rest each week... (as they are in constant use when my 'puter is on...)

As for problems with the 60Gxp series... I guess it has the same flaw as the 120, but haven't read anything about it yet...

Thanks

Hey MrGaribaldi,

Thanks for the info. I read in Maximum PC about the 75's problems but they said the 60's wheren't affected. Just curious what the general consensis was amongst us power users. They also recomended coolers which I have comming.

I have 2 60GXPs and 1 of them died on me :dead: , I sent it back to IBM and they replaced it.
I leave my computer on nearly 24/7. The drives do put out quite a bit of heat when in use.

Hey SNGX1275,

Thanks for the info. I have set up a raid but am not using it yet cause I don't have the coolers. My case allows me to put fans on the side of the drives but I am going with ones that screw on the bottom for the best cooling.

I have 2 60 gig 75GXP series Deskstar HD's that I just started using about a month ago. So far I have had no problems with them.

I have a Raid 0 setup and a box fan blowing directly on the open case to provide some extra cooling.

I, much like the rest of you guys, leave my computer on many days 24/7, so I need sufficient cooling. This is why I use the box fan, because it keeps a continuous circulation of air through my case so nothing component get too hot.

Just make sure your hard drives have maximum cooling on them and don't put them one directly above the other.

I do plan on stacking my drives but with a cooler under them for each drive. plus front fans blowing air to the back.

Thanks for all the great info guys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back