TechSpot

IBM getting out of hard drive biz

By boeingfixer
Apr 17, 2002
  1. Hey gang,

Saw this at the Inquirer, seems IBM is getting out of the Hard drive buz. No more Dethstars. Read the thread in "Storage Mainia" to fully understand if you don't know what the "Other" Deathstar is :evil:

Full story here

IBM Hard Drive story

And the Register's take here The Register

Enjoy

2. lokem

lokem TS Rookie Posts: 773

I'm sure Hitachi will use some of IBM's technology in hard drives after the acquisition.

Now what will IBM focus on after this? Software applications? (e.g. WepSphere)

3. boeingfixer

boeingfixer TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 1,245

That would be my guess too, seeing the article also mentioned that they are getting out of the hardware business.

After my experiance with IBM let's hope that Hitachi does a better job at customer service.

4. lokem

lokem TS Rookie Posts: 773

What other stuff does IBM produce anyway?

I can't comment on IBM's service coz I haven't owned one of their hard disks :D

5. boeingfixer

Well hardware wise, I am not sure if they are talking about Desktops, Laptops, Monitors, Servers. Just don't know ??

Here is a full line of what they make.

IBM Products

6. SuperCheetah

SuperCheetah TS Rookie Posts: 868

Well, good luck to them I guess. I own 2 of the so called Deathstar, but haven't had any problems, yet (fingers crossed). I hope Hitachi does a better job harnessing the technology and with fewer problems than IBM did.

On a side note, IBM is big into the server business. This is their main product line I believe. But all in all they have their nose in everything since they've been around for so long.

7. Phantasm66

Phantasm66 TS Rookie Posts: 6,504   +6

Oh, man! So what happens to the warranty for my 5 IBM Deskstars!

Never mind, I will swap them for Maxtors at work and I bet no one is any the wiser..... ;)

8. SuperCheetah

LMAO!!! That's a classic! I have 2 of my own so I feel your pain. No more support for my Deskstars :( wait I've never gotten any anyways!!! ;)

9. Phantasm66

Phantasm66 TS Rookie Posts: 6,504   +6

What Deskstars?? ;)

Never underestimate the power of Drive Image ( www.powerquest.com )

10. SuperCheetah

Did I say Deskstars, silly me of course I meant Deathstars!!! ;)

I know the goodness of Powerquest. I have PartitionMagic 7.0 Pro on my comp now. Saved me many a time!

11. T-Shirt

T-Shirt TS Rookie Posts: 329

IBM doesn't make anything, but highend mini/mid/ and mainframes anymore.
    Everything else is built outside a badged as IBM.

12. boeingfixer

I don't doubt you "T" but why then would they be getting out if all they do is stick their name on things ? I wish I could tell IBM where to stick my two paperweights on my desk with their name on them. Yes I mean my two Dethstars !! ;):evil:

13. uncleel

uncleel TS Rookie Posts: 1,145

IBM posted the news release on the 16th.

I heard the news on the lunchtime business report, & reliable business sources said, "IBM to consolidate HDD business with Hitachi" which has a different connotation than getting out of the HD business.

So I went straight to the horse's mouth. IBM
    Possible reason? Business!
    Quote: "Lackluster results in IBM's HDD business and a belief that other sectors of the storage industry offer better growth opportunities led IBM to the deal, the company said in a statement."
    I always take sources like the Register & Inquirer w/ a grain of salt. Due to their haste in getting the story out, their facts are not always correct. Just ask Demiurg, our resident professional journalist.

p.s.IBM posted the news release on the 16th.

14. boeingfixer

Thanks Uncleel, I appriciate you setting my post straight. I had read somemore later but could not post as it was less reliable than the two sites you mentioned but later found to be better.

15. T-Shirt

T-Shirt TS Rookie Posts: 329

Best reason is , the have so tainted the IBM name, they don't see their drive business recovering without major effort/cost.
    so form a new company, (with a partner to manage it) stick a new name on it , and hope people forget.
    yes, the drive business, is one the last of their consumer level production units.
    they have tried exiting and reentering various segments of the retail end several times in the last 10 years. I think this time they're serious!

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.