Ibm laptop makes a very loud constant beep

Status
Not open for further replies.

joked u 2

i have an ibm laptop and during windows start up, it makes that "beep" like it just POSTed but louder and doesn't stop. i picked up the laptop while it was screaming to turn it off, and as i moved it, it changed pitch. this first happined when i was loading quake 2 on it, quake 2 had just finished loading and i was in the process of trying to play it. to get it to stop i just took out the battery. the sound sounded like it came out of the speakers, but changed when you push on a certin paRT of the laptop. how do i get to stop, is my laptop toast? i can get more info if u need it.

What is the model and the model number called a type number on the bottom... the model will be something like 600X or T-23. But the type number will be a seven digit one like 2373-8SU.
The problem could be as simple as a stuck key, or as complex as a failed CPU Fan, failed memory, failed hard drive, or a motherboard gone bad.
If it is a repeated beep beep beep etc... with a pause then repeated beeps, count the beeps and tell us. That will usualy be a memory error or a cpu fan or a hard drive... depending on the model and the age.

600e
2645-4au
no it is a constant noise like the thing is screaming. there is no beep beep, but it is that high pitch eeeek, kinda noise.

Look for a stuck key or other component that is shorted or crossed. Blow out the keyboard, while upside down with dust off. Remove the keyboard and clean beneath. Replace the cpu fan. Clean out the dust using dustoff or other canned air. Do not use a vacuum cleaner. Look for a broken pin in any socket... such as from a keyboard, usb port, or other.
It should be fixable, but you might need a technician if you don't know how to dissemble it.
600e is a good machine without a specific history of that problem.
Also check your power supply/power adapter to assure that it is not getting hot.
Do not run it long until you know the cause.
$55 spent with a laptop technician would be better than diddling too much with it.

actually you'd never belive it, i just turned it on again, and it sounded like feedback. so i muted the microphone in windows and sure enough it sovled the problem. i had another microphone -plugged into the side and enabled the microphone gain in volume control. i turned off the machine and i unpluged everything to take it withe me. when it turned on it made this noise. i never put 2 and 2 together untill i heard the noise again. i want to thank you for your help and if it happins again and its not the microphone, i will try your soultion.
thx
-Josh

So it was audio feedback from its own sound system? Good to know. Thanks for taking the time to let us know.

Puting a tick in Mute under the Microphone Slider on the playback side of the windows mixer will stop positive feedback, to access this mixer right click on the speaker Icon in the system tray beside the clock and select "Open Volume Control " you should see all the sliders with the mute boxes

Cheers HSC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back