IBM T60 white hue over lcd screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

warehouse678

Hey guys and gals I'm running into an issue with a T-60 laptop's lcd screen. When it's docked on the docking station the video display is fine on the external monitor. However, once we take it off the dock and try to use the laptop's lcd screen the entire screen will become bright. This is will go back and forth a few times and will eventually stay with this white colored hue throughout the whole screen. I checked all of the settings and I feel that it's not a setting with the computer itself or the OS, more like a hardware issue. I'm nudging towards the motherboard's video card but was also wondering if it could be the lcd's inverter board. Any help or ideas would be great, thanks all.

Joe

If the display is fine on the external monitor then I don't think it's the Video card, i don't know the inside of the laptop monitor but it would most likely be the Laptop LCD by the sounds of it.

Yes,
the laptops LCD inverter or LCD panel is bad... It is always wise to check the LCD cables for damage or loose connectors first. And Woody, most laptops do no have video cards, they have only on-board video chips

If in warranty, send it back to Lenovo. Free fix.
If out of warranty, replace the Inverter. $15 to $25 on eBay or $59 from Lenovo. It is not as difficult as it appears once you have the inverter. The screws are covered with rubberized screw covers, then the bezel snaps off. You have about 18 screws to remove the screen, and you will need a high quality set of miniature philips screwdrivers to remove some of the screws.
The inverter is held in a cage with two screws. Unplug the two cables that connect the inverter and screen. Reassemble. Voila. Done in 45 minutes, once you have the inverter.
The biggest problem is making sure you do not damage the screw covers because you don't want them to be ugly at the end. They are held on with a mild and flexible rubber cement. Just be patient in prying them out. Any rubberized bumpers longer than 1 inch do not need to be removed. You are looking for screws that have been covered cosmetically.
Be careful not to flex the screen board in any way. It cannot take much pressure. Do not pry the screen. It will pull out easily when all screws and connectors are removed.
Be sure to carefully save all the screws. They are darned difficult to replace.

People often say "I need to upgrade the video card in my laptop" or "The video card is bad, in my laptop. What can I do?"... and you said, "I don't think it's the Video card"... Doesn't this confuse the issue?

Many of the desktops I build these days use on-board video. But as you know, it is easy to install a PCI(e) or AGP video card, if the on-board video fails. This is not true with most laptop computers, is it?

Usually not possible. Certainly not possible on any Lenovo. Some Dell, HP, and Gateway units use system boards to which one can be added or upgraded... but the cost is prohibitive.

OK guys, thanks for the help. I am going to go with the Inverter Board and LCD screen and not the onboard card. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back