TechSpot

IBM Thinkpad iSeries Sleep Mode

By Tmagic650
Sep 23, 2006
  1. Hey all,
    I have an IBM iSeries Thinkpad notebook 1161-43U, that won't come out of "standby" mode. I have an orange battery indication, a green half-moon indicator, and the green power indicator. The notebook won't power up at all. If I disconnect the power AC adapter and then plug it in, I can hear a faint grinding sound and then nothing. I suspect that the main CPU cooling fan is malfunctioning causing a "CPU overheating" condition...

Does anyone have experience with this?

2. GeekieNick101

GeekieNick101 TS Rookie Posts: 373

Is your computer running Windows xp service pack 2? If so there is a fix for computers that wont wake up from standby or hibernation mode.

find.pcworld.com/52864 copy and paste that into your browser and that should help.

3. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Topic Starter Posts: 17,244   +234

Thanks GeekieNick101,
    this system is running Windows Me circa 2001. I am going to guess that the CPU fan is bad. I have to tear down the whole notebook to get to the fan though... bummer!

4. GeekieNick101

GeekieNick101 TS Rookie Posts: 373

Have fun with that, I know if it is anything like my Dell laptop it has a ton of screws and is so confusing to open then it wont go back together correctly. It took me like 2 hours just to open and clean my laptop! And if it is Windows Me than it most likely would be the cpu overheating

Good Luck

5. Tmagic650

Thanks GeekieNick101,
    I've worked on a lot of laptops... Some are definately easier than others to work on. I just always hate to remove those LCD displays. They are heavy and delicate at the same time. I'm a bit hung over today, so I'll get on it first thing tomorrow. I wanted to upgrade the memory from 64MB to the max 128MB but at $200+ for the module... No way!

6. Tmagic650

I replaced the CPU fan and I still can't get the notebook to start. The cover open switch is next to check

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.