IBM Thinkpad processor upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I need help making an upgrade decision. I have IBM thinkpad with Intel Pent. M processor 1500MHz. I want to up grade to a higher process that's more than 1500MHz. Maybe upgrade to GHZ? I went to a computer store and they told me that I have to replace the motherboard inorder if I want to upgrade my processor? (is this true?) Can I upgrade my processor without replacing the whole board?

Thanks,

john

Yes, the CPU can be replaced separately. The question is whether IBM is actually willing to sell you the CPU assembly. You might have to persuade them a little.

forget it u are not going to get them to do any thing if it is not what they have set to do

It should be possible. The only exception might be the ultra-portable laptops which have the CPU literally integrated into the board sometimes.

It's not considered a user replacable part though... Because you'll need to disassemble the entire laptop. :eek: You would also need to upgrade the entire CPU assembly as well. A faster CPU is going to require a bigger heatsink and better airflow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back