IBM Thinkpad processor upgrade

By yakuza389
Dec 3, 2005
  1. Hi,

I need help making an upgrade decision. I have IBM thinkpad with Intel Pent. M processor 1500MHz. I want to up grade to a higher process that's more than 1500MHz. Maybe upgrade to GHZ? I went to a computer store and they told me that I have to replace the motherboard inorder if I want to upgrade my processor? (is this true?) Can I upgrade my processor without replacing the whole board?

2. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 5,837   +6

Yes, the CPU can be replaced separately. The question is whether IBM is actually willing to sell you the CPU assembly. You might have to persuade them a little.
  3. nickc

nickc TechSpot Paladin Posts: 923   +11

forget it u are not going to get them to do any thing if it is not what they have set to do
  4. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 4,573   +65

It should be possible. The only exception might be the ultra-portable laptops which have the CPU literally integrated into the board sometimes.

It's not considered a user replacable part though... Because you'll need to disassemble the entire laptop. :eek: You would also need to upgrade the entire CPU assembly as well. A faster CPU is going to require a bigger heatsink and better airflow.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.