*****ic move? -- Monitor now blank

Status
Not open for further replies.

sdms96825

I just connected my new Lenovo (Vista Ultimate) laptop to a docking station. I then connected my large Gateway monitor to the docking station. I then had two screens working -- my laptop and the monitor. The resolution was not good so I right clicked on the desktop for properties and was going to change the resolution. But, I saw something that said graphics. I clicked it and then clicked on something like "send to monitor". I just assumed that everything on the laptop screen would just be sent to the external monitor. Anyway, everything went blank. I rebooted and heard the lovely sound, but the screen is still BLANK. What do I do now?

Thanks.

CCT, thanks.

I rebooted in safe mode and ONLY the external monitor has icons on the screen. I right clicked on the desktop but do not see the same menu.

1. How do I change the resolution?
2. How do I get my laptop screen to work again?

Thanks.

Let me further explain:

When I start up in safe mode, only the external screen is working.

If I reboot in normal, only the laptop screen shows activity. It allows me to put in my password and it loads the welcome center and then it goes blank (and nothing is on the external monitor).

Would a system restore get me back to normal?

A System restore would be the first choice and failing that you need to reverse "I saw something that said graphics. I clicked it and then clicked on something like "send to monitor"."

Have you tried tapping FN + F7 at the same time?

The key combination MAY be different, but this is usually what it is on IBM/Lenovo. You'll see a a small blue graphic on the F7 key that represents a couple of displays, so you'll know if F7 is the correct key or not.

What this does is toggle your integrated and external displays off and on. Press it once and wait... then again and see if it brings up your laptop screen.

I'm unsure what 'send to monitor' is, so we can only guess for the moment. :\

Rick --- BINGO!

Thank you . That did it. Now I can sleep.

Now I would greatly appreciate help on my new post about a Vista - Firefox problem that just arose since I am now able to see the screen!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back