TechSpot

Icon problem

By stelch
May 3, 2005
  1. Hi
    You know sometimes when I add a website in my Favorites section an icon logo of that particular site appears next to the web name. This is fine but then after a few days it disappears and you can see the standard windows e sign. Is there a cure to this. I have Windows XP SP2.

Stelios

2. IronDuke

IronDuke TS Rookie Posts: 856

Sounds like the icon cache may be full. Try Micro$oft web site to see if you can make it larger. Clearing out the cache may stop them from changing so frequently.

3. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff TS Rookie Posts: 6,503

Those icons are stored in Temp Inet Files. When you clear the cache, you lose the icons.

Go to www.gratilog.net/anglais/internet/ and download favorg.zip, then install and run it.
    Select Tools/options/Change favicons folder and select another location for it.
    Tick the "Don't test connection" box if you have XP/SP2.
    When done, make sure that Find Favicons is the only ticked box on the right of the screen and click Go!
    Enjoy.

4. IronDuke

IronDuke TS Rookie Posts: 856

Cheers RBS. Nice to know. Even though I use Firefox.

5. stelch

stelch TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 57

Thanks for the wonderful program but
    I didn't understand the above part. Why should I change the favicons folder? And where to locate it then?

Stelios

6. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff TS Rookie Posts: 6,503

If the suggested favicon folder is "Temporary Internet Files", you need to change that to e.g. C:\Program Files\Favicons or something like that.
    I have not tried the program myself, I use Firefox (and I also don't give a hoot about those icons...)

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.