TechSpot

IconPackager gone bad

By InsaneVr6
Oct 24, 2008
  1. So here's the story.

I got bored with the regular XP icon's so I went looking for alternatives. I then came across Stardock IconPackager. Even though Stardock gave me computer problems when I used WindowBlinds, i decided to go for it anway.

Anyway the thing is I was not happy with the program so I uninstalled from the Add/Remove area in the Control Panel...leaving me with 'blank' icons. My regular xp icons are now gone! To name a few, the following icons now have that strange icon that looks like a piece of pape with a little gear on it:

IE7, Outlook, Help and Support, Search, Run, Set Program Access and Defaults.....etc etc...even file extensions don't show up right such as .rar shows up as a 'blank page' icon.

Sorry if this is a little long but i want to be as descriptive as possible.
    All of the shortcuts and such work perfectly fine, but my icon's are jacked!

Any help on getting my regular XP icon's back? I will never use anything from Stardock EVER again! Thanks in advance.

2. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 14,524

Can't remember if this will fix it (one of these free tools does! somewhere)

Anyway try this:

tweakui powertoy from microsoft and the last option will be "repair" which should let you "rebuild icons."

3. InsaneVr6

InsaneVr6 TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 221

I downloaded tweakui powertoy and used the repair option with no success. None of my icon's were reparied. I even tried some tools that use the registry to try and repair them...still with no success. Any other idea's?

4. kimsland

5. InsaneVr6

That put the My Computer, My Documents, and My Network Places on my desktop, my icon's are still messed up. Thanks kimsland for still helping me out. Should i just reinstall IconPackager and see if there is a way to restore the default icon's and then uninstall it? I think ill do that might as well.....

6. kimsland

Yes but it had a change icon button too
    [​IMG]

7. InsaneVr6

Well I wish i thought of this earlier, but my problem is solved and I have all my icon's back to normal In case this happens to anyone else, this is what i did:-

- Reinstalled IconPackager
    - Went to settings, Repair all icons/revert to default/restore shell icons
    - When the program finished all of my icon's were back to normal
    - I then uninstalled the program and my icon's are the XP default

And here is the reason I had the problem in the first place:
    - Intsalled IconPackager
    - Installed a custom Icon theme
    - Did not like it and got mad too fast
    - Hastily uninstalled with the custom icon theme still active. This caused the problem. All I had to do was put everything back the way it was with the progam itself.

Yeah...sometimes I blow my own mind with the simple solutions I never think of till later...ahh well anyway thanks to kimsland who helpmed me out trying to avoid an OS resintall just for icons.....

8. kimsland

Thanks for the update :grinthumb

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.