Icons keep reseting to defaults

Status
Not open for further replies.

Didou

I didn't have the problem on Win2K but now that I've installed Windows XP Pro ( SP1 with all the updates since SP1 ) certain icons keep reseting to defaults.

The icons in question are My Computer, Network Favourites, My Documents & the Recycle Bin. It only happens at a very specific moment which I shall now try to explain. :blackeye:

I've disabled Fast User Switching on this machine ( no need for it & it removes the service from the startup once disabled ) & enabled the need to hit CTRL-ALT-DEL to login which also allows to lock the workstation ( HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\DisableCAD is set to 0 ).

Now when I happen to lock the workstation after hitting CTRL-ALT-DEL, when I come back to the machine, the icons I mentionned above are back to the defaults.

I've tried rebuilding the icon cache before but I still get the same problem.

Any ideas ?

Is yours the only profile on this machine and is it an admin profile? If there are multiple profiles, have you tried logging in as one of them (or the administrator profile) and deleted yours? Could be some corruption there.

Didou;
Are you talking about changing their appearance or delete these icons. These are completely integrated as a part of the O/S even more so than under Win2k.
If it is the appearance you want to change try X-setup(I think the best) or Tweak ui
Also do you log on as Admin-user on a machine by yourself and have any other user?
Making one the 'default user' will stabilize settings changes between users.

Only two users on this machine : Administrator ( created by default ) & David ( which I happen to be using 99% of the time ). I haven't tried changing the icons once logged as Administrator to see if the problem happens there too.

I only want to change the appearance of the icons, I'm not trying to delete them or anything. & I've used TweakUI to recreate the icon cache but it didn't change anything.

On another forum, they seem to be indicating that it's a problem that's been brought by new nVidia detonators. Reverting to a version around 4x.xx generations is supposed to fix it.

But if I do that, I wonder if I'll get my Dual Display problem back as a bonus.:dead:

Well going back to 45.23 drivers did not resolve this issue & I'm really getting tired of changing the icons after every reboot ( or logoff for that matter ).

I've tried the 56.72 drivers, same diff. I've tried to recreate the icon cache (again), tried to increase the icon cache size (from 1024kb to 2048kb) & I still get that problem.

Must I sacrifice a blond 18 year old virgin to the blood gods for this to work ???:confused:

I've done that allready (with microangelo, IconPackager & many others).

Changing the icons isn't the problem, getting them to stay after a reboot is the problem. They reset to the default XP Icons once I do.

Is it possible some changes were made via gpedit.msc?

2000/XP's security editor has the ability to limit customizations to the desktop and system etc in the Adminstrative Template section... While I do not know for sure, I think it is very possible that this may also be able to control the customizibility of your icons.

It's true I haven't messed with the security configuration since I moved to XP, I should have a look there. So far, it seems all the user settings concerning the Desktop are not set.

I'm gonna have a fiddle there. BTW has anyone else had such a problem ?

Fixed for now

It seems disabling the "NVIDIA Display Driver Service", recreating the icon cache & then re-setting the icons work.

After a few reboots, the icons are still here.;)

Are the icon files being protected by the (Windows System File Protection system thing that I don't remeber the name of). You may need to change the backups of the icon files.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back