Icons without Names

Status
Not open for further replies.

r1-forever

Can anyone tell me how to have an Icon on the desktop and not have a Name with it? I am running Xp Pro and would like to get rid of the lettering under each Icon if possible.
Andrew.

Try just using symbols that only you would know. I'm not sure un-named icons are allowed.

Hadn't thought of the Spacebar, but it didn't work either although it should when you think about it. Thanks anyway for the help guys.
Andrew.

You can't use space, but character 160 will do. Start renaming the icon, then hold alt and type 160 on the keypad. If you want another unnamed icon, use two or more blanks to get "different" names.

I tried the "alt" then 160 on the numberpad but I get an "a" with an apostrophy above it. Maybe I am doing it wrong. It is amazing that you can't have icons with just the Icon itself. May I ask what all that under your answer means Nodsu?
Andrew.

Sorry, my mistake. Alt+0160.

You can't have icons without names because your icons on your desktop are just Windows shortcuts. And windows shortcuts are actually regular files. And every file has to have a name.

I have absolutely no idea what this genetics/biochemistry/cell biology mumbo jumbo is about. I just got it off Google when i searched for my nick.

icon word background

This is a great trick; unfortunately it doesn't help in my case. No words appear under the icon, but the icon words have a colored background. When there are "no words" there is still a character's worth of background color. Make sense? Any thoughts on clearing that up?

Assuming you use Windows XP..
System Properties->Advanced->Performance->Settings->Visual Effects->Use drop shadows..

This will show the icon label background only when you select the icon.

hm.

Excellent! Hm...still have a problem though. It seems I can only use alt+0160 for a single icon. I tried using it multiplt times or in conjunction with spaces etc. but everything I try returns a message "specify a different file name". Seems This may be an impossibility!

Works fine for me.. I can create files with one 0160 and two 0160 characters in the name. You have to release the alt key after every number combination BTW.

I don't know all the details, but 'nodSU' is the name of a specific gene in a bacteria that 'infects' plants. The 'nod' stands for 'NODULE', which is just a lump of chemical 'stuff'. The SU is the specific type of gene. ((Kinda like Ferrari F40, or Ferrari Testarossa etc..))

The genes give 'signals' to the host plant (legume) and determine the variety of the specific kind of plant to some extent.

Hope that helps your computer run better... :D

Sorry for double posting....but that was a great tip on the 'alt' 0160 !!!

Desktop Icons without names

Hey friend It is easy to create it . I will tell you in 3 steps

1.Take rename action and delete older names.

2.Activate NUMLOCK

3.Hold Alt press 255 . For this you had to use number pad keys on your right . That's all !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back