ICS - unable to connect to intenet with second computer but can get to Router

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone,
Looking for some assistance here. I have two Vista machines, I have connected them to each other via their NIC's. I have a wireless connection to my Linksys router which is connected to the Internet DSL connection.

The main computer with the wireless works fine and can surf the internet. The second computer (the one I connected to the main one via the NIC cards on the computer) can actually see the Linksys router, meaning it is getting out the wireless connection to that router, but cannot go any further. It cannot see the DSL router (192.168.0.1) or anything on the internet.

I have turned off the firewalls and that doesn't help at all. Any advice or assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Everyone,
I had read through many forum postings and I did changed my Linksys Router's ip to be 192.168.1.2, since it sounds like ICS uses 192.168.1.1 (although, when I look at my main computer (the one with both network connections) the IP Address for the NIC card that is connected to the second computer is 192.168.0.1 which is the same as the DSL routher, so, that seems very weird)

After I rebooted the second computer was able to see the internet for a short time, but then stopped being able to see it.

Then I reboot both PC's again and it is working now. But, after a while it stops working. Has anyone seen this before. It is very frustrating.

You are talking about the Linksys router, the DSL router and ICS.. Why on earth do you have such a complicated masochistic setup???

Maybe explain a bit more what you have and what you want to achieve. Three levels of routing is not something that you should be doing in any sane circumstances.

as you already have a router, FORGET ICS and do it the right way;
Code:
modem---router---all systems (wired and wireless)
each system will be independent of the other and not require tcp passthru routing (which is what is failing just now )

If it has several LAN ports, then it is most certainly a router and looking into the manual confirms this.

googling found this with specs like
One RJ-11 interfaces for ADSL line
Four 10/100 Base-T RJ-45 ports
One USB 1.1 interface
One PCMCIA slot for WLAN 802.11g NIC
Features

QoS & security guaranteed
1483B bridged and routed, DHCP server, NAT/NAPT :)
PPPOE and PPPOA dialing
PAP/CHAP, IP Filter, Firewall, protocol block​

the DHCP + NAT gives router support. SPI feature is missing however.

Thank you, Nodsu.

Then I should be able to connect my other PC to the net (via this modem/router).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back