IDE and SATA interfaces which should i buy?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

gamingguy27

I was thinking of buying an additional hdd, i have two both are ide and are not raid or enything. I was wondering of the differences between the differnt types and how many i can fit on my motherboard. Are there any other types of connection? which is the fastest overall?

Thanks

Alex

The amount and type of (S)ATA connectors available to you depends on your motherboard. Please look up the specification and/or the exact type. Gigabyte Triton is just a brand and encompasses many types of motherboards.

The hard drive interface speed is actually absolutely meaningless. Any speed you get out of your hard drives depends on the drives themselves and not the interface.
Admittedly, most of the new drives manufactured are SATA and newer = faster when it comes to hard drives so if you want to buy a fast HD then you will have better luck with SATA.

SATA now have much faster transfer than any SCSI/IDE/EIDE. if you want to have your hands on the most fastest hard drive on the Earth, and if you have enough money, go to Western Digital Raptor 74.3gb on 10,000 rpm

My motherboard

I have the capabillity to plug in 2 SATA drives and 2 IDE drives, can i have IDE hdd's and SATA ones? If you want my motherboard n.o its:GA-K8VT800 via a K8T800 chipset.

And another factor is the lack of space, can you buy caddies? Its just i have filled my bays :(

Thanks for help!

Alex

I had compatibility problems when running both SATA and IDE on the same motherboard. Like the others said, you have to have a motherboard that supports SATA. I went with the good ole reliable IDE. Truth be told, I really can't see spending a crapload of $ for the speed difference. The price will really have to drop for me to go all SATA. Perhaps when I build my next computer. More than likely, though I'll recycle some old IDE drives.

But in any case, until drive speed matches CPU speed, you're always going to have a lag when loading programs. Yes, SATA does it faster, but I really don't think a few microseconds makes that much of a difference.

bushwhacker said:
SATA now have much faster transfer than any SCSI/IDE/EIDE. if you want to have your hands on the most fastest hard drive on the Earth, and if you have enough money, go to Western Digital Raptor 74.3gb on 10,000 rpm

The interface transfer rates are absolutely meaningless since the hard drives themselves are much slower than the interfaces. And even the SATA2 interface is slower than the old and tried Ultra320 SCSI interface.

And as SNGX said.. 15000 RPM SCSI drives have been around for a good while and easily beat any desktop gadgets.

My apology, SNGX1275 and Notsu, i provide a old new, yes both of you are right, Seagate Baccauda is only one to go.

Does SCSI still have compabile problems?

Lucan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back