IDE cuts off power to device issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

bman2005

I have been using SATA drives since I built my new machine. I was decided that I needed to use and old IDE as an archive drive. I hook it up, turn on my machine and the drive does not work... not does the CD-ROM (ide).

Long story short, when the IDE cables are plugged in, the power to the device(s) is cut off. What does this mean? Are the IDE ports on the mobo burned out? I can unplug the device (both HD and CD drives) form the IDE cable on the mobo and they kick on. Is there something in the bios that is keeping the power off on these devices? The bios is set to enable for the IDE ports.

So, no power when IDEs are plugged in. The devices fire up when the IDE is unplugged. I have tried both the primary and secondary IDE ports... both have same results.

Thoughts?

Mobo = ASUS A8N-SLI
Bios = 1014 (phoenix)
OS - xp

Help...

BMAN!

Ok... found 1/2 of the solution.... cleared our the CMOS. Small pain because everything defaults but the IDEs are working properly.

Thanks.. and remember, clearing the CMOS is good when all else fails when dealing with hardware issues. Or at least that's what I have found at troubled troubled times with the mobo to device recognition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back