IDE Drive Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
In my computer I have a DVD-RW drive, CD-RW drive and a single 80 gb hard drive. I've installed the DVD-RW as Master and CD-RW and slave on the primary IDE port with my hard drive as the master (and only thing) on the secondary IDE port. Now the bios recognizes everything properly and all appears to be fine and XP boots up. After about 15 seconds in XP it just restarts. Now if I take the CD-RW drive completely out of the picture, all is well, so what is the problem here? I'm stuck...

I've just tried disabling the IDE channel of the drives and XP works fine... any idea why adding this drive would cause XP to crash?

Your hard drive should be the master on the primary ide channel.

Your optical drives should be connected as master and slave on the secondary ide channel.

The fact that you`ve got your hdd on the secondary ide channel, is probably what`s causing the problem.

Regards Howard :)

howard_hopkinso said:
Your hard drive should be the master on the primary ide channel.

Your optical drives should be connected as master and slave on the secondary ide channel.

The fact that you`ve got your hdd on the secondary ide channel, is probably what`s causing the problem.

Regards Howard :)
thanks for your quick response, i've tried that configuration right now and it doesn't work either, same problem.

What happens if you switch your opticle drives around?

I.E make the cd-rw the master, and the dvd the slave.

Can you try a different ide cable?

Regards Howard :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back