IDE Drives

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just added a new video card which need a power supply, so i figured id take it off my internal DVD/CD drive and hook it up to it in the process i knocked out the cords that connect the power button to the MBoard, i hooked it up so i could at least turn it on, when i turned on the computer it starts up but stops at the "detecting IDE drives..." part i figured it was because i unhooked the power supply to my DVD drive, so i unhooked the grey chord going into my DVD drive (mind you i have an external one) so it wouldnt read it but now its doing the same thing and wont go past that point. Should i reconnect it, if so, how do i get power to my video card?
sorry for the long post.

Perhaps you bumped something else loose too? Go over all the IDE devices and plugs. When you disconnected the DVD-ROM, did you leave the other two plugs exactly where they were?

An IDE cable (the wide grey ribbon) usually has three plugs on it. One goes to the controller (on the motherboard) two are for devices. With newer IDE cables, it does matter which plug you connect to what kind of device.

You may have a cable with only two plugs of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back