IDE DVD ROMs do not appear in BIOS

Status
Not open for further replies.

BorisandBailey

Hi, everyone.

Here's the short of it: This is a new build. On the first screen of the BIOS that lists the IDE and SATA drives, I have two IDE DVD/CD ROM drives that are not listed. Yet, one of them will list in the Boot Order.

More: neither Lite-on burner would work, but when I placed a Sony drive in from another computer, programs appeared and loaded; but it is still not listed on the first screen; it is in the Boot Order.

Gets messier: Aren't the IDE drives supposed to appear on the first screen? When the two drives are in there and they are first and second in boot order, I get a dashed line on the screen after boot-up (making the HD first solves that though that's not my preferred order). I wondered if the IDE header could be faulty, but then, the programs are loading from the Sony drive. Or maybe something in the BIOS I'm missing? Or maybe Lite-on burners just suck and need replacement. One of them does not appear anywhere in the BIOS on the new build or on my other computer. The other Lite-on will work on my other computer, but not on the new build.

Here are the components:
Intel Core 2 Quad Processor
Asus PQ5 circuit board
Ultra Heatsink and CPU Fan
Corsair DDR2 240-pin Memory
Thermaltake 430 Power Supply
Evga Nividia 9000s Video Card
Seagate Barracuda 750GB Hard Drive
Two Lite On CD/DVD Burners
Windows XP Pro 64-bit

Thanks much!

Hi, again.

Thank you for your replies. Within the main page settings, I checked Storage Configuration and it is set at Configure SATA as IDE.

I checked the jumpers and made sure they were at their respective Master and Slave settings.

Since the Sony DVD drive works and the three Lite-On drives don't work (two new Lite-on burners and a Lite-on CD drive that I've had for a year), I'm taking a guess that the problem is in the drives themselves.

As for the IDE burners not showing up on the main BIOS page, I've noticed that in my circuit board manuals, the ones from the past show--in sequence--floppy drive, IDE drives, SATA drives. The newest manual--the computer I just assembled--just has the following sequence: floppy drive, SATA drives. I think I might do another post to see if anyone else has noticed that oddity.

One of the Lite-On IDE burners, the Sony drive, and the Lite-On CD drive do show up in the Boot Order, after experimenting with some different combinations. On one of my other computers--using the same combinations--I got the same results, the only exception being that the IDEs show up on the main page of the BIOS. One of the Lite-On burners just does not show up anywhere which means I probably have one dead burner. My principle concern was whether the circuit board had a defect, or if it is the drives themselves.

The IDE drives don't show up on the bios except in the boot order. They don't show up on the post screen either but should show up on the second screen that shows the Marvel IDE driver and attached devices on that controller. That's just the way it's set up on the P5Q. I have an IDE Maxtor HD and IDE Samsung DVD ROM that don't show up. But the ROM shows on the boot priority with my SATA DVD Burner and principal HD, and the HD shows on the HD priority. I don't have any problems with either on my P5Q.

Thank you, luvhuffer. That's the information I was looking for. All of the replies have been helpful and it looks like the problem is resolved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back